Collision, continued

Start from the beginning

Leo pursed his lips. "Yeah, wouldn't want to grab the people we came to save, huh?"

The director straightened. "Just stay safe. I'm on coms, you have Fitz and the rest up top."

The British mercenary slapped a hand on the demigod's shoulders. "Stop worrying. Everything's A-Okay. Just your average Hydra raid. See you on the outside, director."

The director in question let them go hesitantly, feeling unsure. He hated feeling unsure, especially when so many lives were at risk. Was he doing the right thing? He knew for a fact it was too late to be debating these things. 

Lincoln called his name. Coulson blinked to clear his vision before turning around. "Right. Let's go."

The blonde shifted uncomfortably. They were donned in Hydra apparel, a fact Coulson had to ignore; any association to the twisted organization made him sick. It was necessary though, to hopefully not get recognized and compromise the mission. 

They didn't speak as they began navigating the halls, walking with their heads high past stray personnel as they subtly surveyed their surroundings.  It was hard to get a sense of their location, thanks to the endless rows of silver metal doors and gray tiling. It was only Fitz's direction that led them closer and closer to where they assumed Ward had been keeping Daisy, Mack, and the kids.

To his honest surprise (and relief), Stark's intel was accurate. After ten minutes of sneaking through the base, the two men found themselves staked out near a room in which a clear glass window revealed one of their targets: Annabeth Chase. One strong guard stood near the door, arms taut by her side. Lincoln swallowed.

"Now what?"

Coulson raised a hand to his coms in response. "Everyone in position?"

He waited for their confirmation before clenching his jaw in anticipation. "Valdez? It's a go."

Within minutes, alarms were blaring- just as he'd envisioned. The guard talked quickly into a walkie talkie before she was quickly flanked by a slew of other Hydra agents. The second they opened the door, taking Annabeth by her arms, Coulson fired a series of well placed ICERs into their necks. 

They went down like the Titanic. 

"Oh my gods," Annabeth breathed out, gray eyes wide. Her curls were frizzy and flat. The girl heavily favored her left foot when she limped towards them. "You guys came. The alarms-"

Coulson reached forward uselessly, eyebrows furrowed. "That's on purpose. You're hurt."

She shook her head, dodging his worried hands. "I'm fine,  just an old sprain that flared up. Did you guys find Percy? Where-"

"Duck," Coulson raised his gun above his head before firing three shots in quick succession. Annabeth whipped around on her heel, heart in her throat at the sight of the three fallen agents that had come to intercept them.

"Uh, thanks. What-"

His earpiece buzzed with excitement. "Hell, Coulson, these are stairs."

Couslon frowned as Lincoln fried the electronics of the metal gate behind them, shutting out the opposition. "And?"

"They go down, and we're supposedly on the lowest floor. Stark didn't say there were more floors than these three. We're screwed."

It wasn't good news. It meant they'd greatly underestimated the staffing here. It meant they were about to be overwhelmed. It meant they had a lot more ground to cover to find their men, and finding Annabeth was pure luck. Coulson pursed his lips together, eyeing the blonde in question as she tried and failed to hide the pained expression on her face. "Can you hold you own for the next four minutes? Keep moving north?"