A Demon's Morning Conversation (side story)

We all nodded in agreement.

   I thought it over again. "I couldn't remember the colour of her eyes. I've always been good at that."

   They all looked troubled at that. Analla looked around our group tentatively. "Maybe she's a warrior witch with magic that resembles that of a tracker. That faction has always had some very unique magic types."

   "Mind control seems unlikely, she didn't use anything like that on Tenebris."

   E'ria pointed her fork at me. "Well as a reign demon, Tenebris is probably more immune than most. If even Tenebris didn't sense her arrival in the Demon Realm then maybe she has a magic that obscures people's memories."

   "Maybe..." I mused, but it seemed deeper than that. "I'll try to get some answers out of Kioran about it tomorrow."

   Knoxx squeezed my hand. "Only if you're up to it. Don't sound too desperate or he'll use that against you."

   I smiled up at him. "I know." I looked over to see Analla smiling softly at us while E'ria was eyeing Segitta and the others. I peered over my shoulder at them. "What is it?"

   Her eyes snapped back to me. "I would suggest only revealing them if you are in absolute danger. They can easily turn a fight around to your favour."

   I nodded slightly. "I'll do that. For now, I'll use the locket as leverage and the four sentinels coming with me."

   At Analla's slightly panicked look I quickly clarified: "Oren's not one of them, don't worry. They're older sentinels that came here as guards for a student that graduated a few years back." She visibly relaxed. No way was I letting Oren or any of my friends anywhere near Kioran again.

   Knoxx roved his eyes around our little group, took a breath and gave E'ria a sly smile, trying to lighten the mood. "So how's dress shopping going?"

   Analla's eyes immediately brightened in delight. I tried to share her feeling of joy but couldn't with my head full of the mysterious witch and Kioran. E'ria clasped her girlfriend on the shoulder to prevent her from possibly beaming too much. "I bought mine just yesterday. It's so beautiful! All of you will absolutely love it! I haven't even let E'ria see it yet."

   E'ria tried to frown at her girlfriend at the secret, but failed miserably and cracked a wide smile at Analla's excitement. "I think I've finalized which one I'm going to buy, so I'll pick it up sometime tomorrow or the day after."

   Analla peered at me with a smile. "I could go shopping with you, Anveya."

   I smiled back, "Sure." I turned to Knoxx. "What about you?"

   He perked up like a bird, but looked like he was trying hard not to fidget. "My parents already sent me everything, because well, I have plenty of suits at my home that I can wear."

   Analla sighed dreamily and propped her head on a hand. "The advantages of being rich."

   Knoxx rubbed the back of his neck. "Yes well, it's their money not mine, but I can still come with you two."

   Analla shrugged and said "sure" at the same time that I said: "No."

   I wagged a finger at him. "Remember what I told you this afternoon. No seeing my dress until the day of the dance. Don't try to cheat your way in, Knoxx."

   Knoxx let out a light laugh and kissed my brow. "Apologies, Anveya. I'll study and wait for your return."

   "Good." I grinned at him in triumph. Knoxx shook his head and wrapped an arm around my shoulders comfortably.