I reason with myself that it was a mistake and then I reply to his texts. And then I come to this party. And I say to myself that it's because I want to kick Herrera's ass to keep him quiet but it's also because I want to kick Herrera's ass for interrupting. And it's also because he asked me to come.

My stupid fucking head turns away from Dima right as he steps back into the room, Herrera in tow.

Aryan whistles, nice and low, capturing everyone's attention over the music. "Alright, ladies and gents," he says, clapping Raf on the shoulder. "This party's moving down to the beach because Herrera over here wants to use his two remaining brain cells to kick a ball around in the sand and you're coming with him. Everybody say happy fucking birthday."

There follows a hearty chorus of Happy fucking birthday.

Charlie lets out a heavy sigh over my shoulder.

Aryan's eyes flick to our little group, lingering on me before sparkling upon his best friend's facepalm. He grins. "And to save Charlie the migraine, take the fucking food and booze with you. Let's go!"

He swings an arm over his head and waves it back and forth, spurring the party into motion. They scamper like ants and I stand still, eyes lingering too long on the line of his jaw as he orders people around.

By the time almost half of them are through the balcony doors, I'm still standing at the pool table, while girls peel off high heels to walk down the stairs leading to the sandy beach where they can feast their eyes on abs— I mean, soccer. I don't blame them though. The urge to eye-fuck Aryan Shankar on the beach is stronger than I want it to be.

But I stay rooted where I am, deciding then and there that this was a mistake. I feel Dima's eyes on my back and Charlie's on the side of my head. My money's still on you. Fucking hell. Was it that obvious?

I had to get out of here.

So, I shake my head no when Kenna loops her arm through Charlie's and offers me the other. She frowns but she's quick to pipe up again, green gaze flitting to Khadija. Her eyes light up and she drops Charlie's arm entirely. "Hi! Nice to meet you! You're super pretty. I'm Kenna!"

If the heart eyes emoji was a person, it would be Kenna Westbrooke.

Dija blinks at Kenna's bubbly introduction but she soon smiles, her entire face warming up and Charlie smiles too, a quiet one behind Kenna's head that I don't miss. Is everyone in love nowadays?

I catch sight of Dima and Kajal, arms linked as they dip out of the house. When Kajal kicks off her heels, Dima swoops her up without warning, saying, "I got you, Twinke Toes." I can hear her high-pitched laughter even from inside as he carries her down the stairs. Jeez.

Kenna seems to be in love with Dija just from that single smile too because she throws an arm over the smaller girl's shoulders and begins to pull her away from Charlie and I, asking a million and one questions after Dija's single reply of, "Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Khadija."

"Oh my god! I love your name! It's so pretty. I love your dress! Where'd you get it? I love your accent! Where are you from? I love you!" Kenna belts out.

Charlie has competition.

Khadija's laugh is easy, amused and she throws a bright-eyed look at Charlie over her shoulder. As Kenna pulls her out the door, she begins to answer her questions one by one. His eyebrows dance across at her and then she's down the stairs. That look alone could give them away but I was the only one looking.