Steph takes a long moment with that. "Wow, okay."

"M'sorry, I should just-"

"No." He stops me. "No you shouldn't just go."

"I-"

"What you need to do, and don't get mad at me if this goes badly because it sounds like he's really not on a good note with you, is you need to go back in there after you take a couple minutes to think about what you're gonna say and you're gonna sit down and say it. That's the best way to fix that right now. You need to explain whatever intent you have with that sex thing because even if it is personal he needs to know and you need to explain anything related to the therapist thing? I don't care if what is going on with you is going to hurt him, okay? You need to go back there and be completely fucking honest with him. All the way honest. You hear me? He needs to know goddamn everything that's happening with you."

Steph pulls in a long breath to keep talking. "You can go as far with that as you want to, you can go back in there and explain why you are who you are and what caused that or you could go back in and explain just the stuff around today but you need to be fucking honest with him. He needs to know everything. Yeti sounds like he's having some relationship trust issues and that's fine, you're gonna see that with each other because neither of you have done this before and both of you are flighty. Does that make sense?"

I stare down at my toes. "Yeah."

"Okay? You're good? You got it under control? I swear to god if I see you back in Canada I'm buying your plane ticket back to Sweden. I don't have time for you two to end it. I've not met a lot of guys, a lot of people for that matter, who work with you in this way, okay, he's rare, keep him."

I laugh lightly under my breath. "Yeah, yeah. I got it."

"Great, now go do that, m'gonna head back to dinner, alright?"

"Alright."

"Bye."

"M'bye." He hangs up and I'm left on the park bench going over everything that was said.

Especially one specific thing.

I turn on my data for the internet and look something up.

Håkon Leonardo Rex

Håkon Rex is a Swedish professional ice hockey left defenseman and alternate captain for the Regina Wolves of the National Hockey League. Rex was born in Uppsala, Sweden and grew up in Lagga. He was selected 32nd overall in the entry draft 8 years ago. Wikipedia.

Born: March 10th (age: 26 years)

Height: 6'6"

NHL team: Regina Wolves

National Team: Sweden

NHL Draft: 32nd overall, Regina Wolves

Current Teams: Regina Wolves (#74 / left defense)

There it is. From earlier. "I'm twenty six and I should not have had sex before now."

I look up at the street lights and the road and the fog and everything.

He's twenty six.

His birthday is on March tenth. Two weeks after we started dating. He knew mine. I didn't know his.

He knew all that about me and all I know about him is his past.

I set my head down in my hands and rake them through my way-too-long hair. Suddenly, without Steph telling me it's going to be fine, with the wind raking through my thin shirt, with everything, the waterworks start again.