Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

Thorin raised an eyebrow. "I often wonder how you put up with me but not the opposite. What are you talking about?"

"I forget sometimes," Bilba said, studying where her hand rested on his arm, "how much experience you have. If I were you, I'm not sure how happy I'd be with being lectured by someone a fraction of my age, and who's barely been away from her home."

"Not sure how well that last one applies to you anymore," Thorin said dryly, nudging her shoulder with his. He smirked. "As for the first, don't sell yourself short. You're not always wrong."

Bilba frowned, but then rolled her eyes at the glint of humor in his. She flopped back, matching his position. His weight caused the couch to dip under him and it naturally rolled her body so she was resting against him. He was quite comfortable, and she was tired, so she left it alone, choosing to simply drop the head against his shoulder.

Her eyes went toward Aragorn, who was idly watching Fili and Kili discuss whether or not the window would make a good spot for archery in case of an attack. "So," she said slowly, "if that's the case, how did you know Aragorn even wanted to be king? Gondor isn't exactly being held by a dragon the way Erebor was. Why haven't they come to claim their throne before?"

"They had no sponsor," Thorin explained. At her questioning look, he shrugged. "I spoke to him on the road several times. Anyone can claim to be the rightful heir of Gondor. He has the ring of Barahir, an heirloom of Numenor; but it's been recorded as lost for centuries. Anyone could have it and claim the lineage it represents. The only way to gain an audience, and any credibility--"

"Would be if someone with established credibility sponsored you," Bilba said, understanding dawning. "You really were trying to help him."

"And get us an audience with the Steward," Thorin admitted easily. "It just so happened the two desires happened to be in harmony." He sighed. "You are right to be annoyed, however. I should have spoken to him first about what I planned to do. I got ahead of myself."

"Little bit," Bilba agreed.

Thorin pulled away from her to stand up and Bilba tried not to feel petulant about losing what had been a very comfortable position. "Come on," he said, holding a hand out to her. "I'll apologize."

"Don't know why I have to get up when you're the one apologizing," Bilba muttered, but let him grab her hand and pull her to her feet.

Thorin went over to Aragorn and Bilba trailed along after him.

"I should have consulted you," Thorin said without preamble. "I apologize."

Aragorn's eyes flicked away from the window. "It's all right," he said simply. He frowned. "I wasn't expecting it this way. I always thought my father--" His voice trailed off and Bilba caught a brief glimpse of grief in his eyes. It occurred to her that he'd never really been given a chance to handle his father's death. He'd found out in Rivendell and then immediately been thrown into the quest. After that it had been a long series of attacks by Ringwraith and other foul things or the simple act of trying to survive. Now this was added to it and she wondered when he would ever have a chance to deal with it.

Then there was the fact he was so young for a human and so much had been dropped on his shoulders, all at once.

"You aren't alone you know," she blurted out. "We're all here for you, and Thorin will be more than happy to help you with whatever you need." She shot a glare at the dwarf in question as she spoke and he gave her an amused look in return.

"Of course."

"I doubt they'll just put me on the throne," Aragorn said dryly. "It would be irresponsible, especially at a time like this."