KOLAM (PART-1)

Since I am from Tamil Nadu, I know more things about Tamil culture. So let me start with the kolam..

Have you ever heard about kolam( it's quite a similar version rangoli)??

The above pic^ that is how a sikku kolam looks like.

It's basically a decoration which was done in the floor before your house, temple( holy place of Hindus) or anyother place.

This is another example.
The flour they are using to decorate is made up of rice flour.

When I was child, I remembered asking my grandma why we should waste rice flour in ground just to decorate. I asked it because I thought it's useless,right??

But the reply of my grandmother made me realise that we shouldn't judge things without knowing the things behind it.

So yeah..(I am taking too long(ꏿ﹏ꏿ;) )

She told me that as we are being developed due to the rise of technology.

We do all things quicker and easier. Like we have methods to keep birds away from the field.

We also use insecticide to prevent insects eating our crops.We are basically stealing the lifeline of those birds and insects.

And then, she continued that because we are focused on future we lost how our present and past affecting our surroundings. That's why we decorate the ground with kolam.

We finely grind the rice and spray it in a decorative way so any birds and insects can feed on them.

Me thinking that I was being a curious smartass child asked another question to my grandma..

"If feeding the birds and insects is the purpose, we should spray it all over the ground, right? Why decorate it??"

My grandma laughed and said, " If I said it's a way of feeding other animals, will you take rice flour from your house and spray it all over the ground??. Will other people do it? They will think of it as a waste of time and money. If I decorate it in front of my house, people will think it as decorative and ask me how to do it. Even if they don't know the meaning behind it, atleast they are helping. That is what matters ,right?"

And that's when I get what she meant. Don't ever overlook your traditions. It doesn't mean you have to follow all those.

Just think why would they do it. Maybe sometimes you will get a brilliant answer like mine.

But as time goes on, people who were did sikku kolam is now doing rangoli.
Rangoli looks beautiful.

For doing a rangoli we have to use colour powder and it will affect the land.

But what I am saying is don't use such colourful chemical powders. It's harmful for land and creatures too..

 It's harmful for land and creatures too

And sikku kolam isn't quite easier. It's hard to be honest. I always felt proud whenever I finished one because you have to connect all the dots.

And believe me it's not easier. It's quite the opposite..

(Results are coming on the way.)

(*Drum rolls* 🥁🥁)

(And the rating is.....)

I would give sikku kolam a 10/10.

Since I heard the reasons behind it and I am really happy there is someone who told me about these things or else I would've thought that it was a waste of time or something like that...

~~~~~
That's all for today's chapter.

Hey guys...

What do you think about this chapter?

Have you ever heard about this or this is your first time hearing about sikku kollam?

Where are you from??

And what is the next title should I choose??

Don't forget to comment, like and share. So I can get to know other peoples opinion on my book and so o can get inspiration to write this book.

And happy new year....(◍•ᴗ•◍)❤