chapter 2: we drew a map to a better place, but on that road I took a fall

author's note: 

this is a tense chapter, so let's go straight to the story and i see you at the end

(see the end of the chapter for more notes)

xx

Dal-mi tried hard to balance the iced coffees on her hands before finding the courage to go inside SH Venture Capital's office.

Right now, she felt stupid.

How idiotic of her to think that such a simple drink could mend her troubled relationship with Ji-pyeong.

And yet, she had to try.

Dal-mi had to do it so they could go back to how things were during Chuseok. Back then, they started to feel like a family, playing with one another, and spending the night having meaningful and needed conversations about life.

Once again, she felt lost, and Ji-pyeong seemed to be her white knight, ready to help her through difficult times.

However, she knew that Do-san showing up had messed up their development, and now she had to run after making it better again. Maybe cold coffee could be the right way to take the first step on this.

Breathing in and out to regain control of her mind and body, Dal-mi opened a bright smile and joyfully entered the space. Hair knotted in her signature ponytail and dressed comfortably in a white button-up shirt, she looked like a CEO, not a woman who was ugly crying in the bathroom just a few minutes ago.

Before she could say a word, eyes searching for Ji-pyeong in the room, Dong-Chun got up from his chair suddenly. Trembling hands holding the phone and a pale expression on his face, the manager looked at Ms. Yoon with teary eyes.

"What happened, Mr. Park?" The woman asked, already concerned and feeling her chest contracting with fear.

"It's Mr. Han..." He started to say in a weak tone.

"What happened?" Dal-mi questioned, crossing the room in long steps and coming closer to understand what was going on.

"He... I..." Dong-Chun began to explain, tears coming down at his eyes as Dal-mi felt fear freezing her entire being.

"Tell me!" She said louder, startling the man in front of her.

"Mr. Han was involved in a serious accident on the highway, there's a nurse on the scene and she called saying... He isn't breathing nor responding to first aid efforts." Dong-Chun spilled out before falling on his chair in shock.

"What?" Dal-mi screamed, letting the coffee fall on the floor as her whole body started to tremble in despair.

As the information settled in her heart, Dal-mi felt a familiar pain, the same scorching one that had taken over her when she learned about her father's fate.

Once again, she felt like a loved-one was being taken away from her.

And just like in the past, she could do nothing about it.

xx

Dal-mi couldn't remember anything from the journey to the accident's spot on a famous highway close to Sandbox.

Aghast from the information Dong-Chun received on the phone, Dal-mi only wasted a few seconds before running towards the garage to pick up her car. Her trembling hands couldn't even open it, so it felt like a heavenly blessing when In-jae showed up in a hurry and stole the keys from her younger sister.

"What do you think you are doing?" She questioned in a cutting tone, looking disturbed and pale with everything that was happening.

"Ji-pyeong was in a car accident, and I need to..." Dal-mi started, tears mingling with her shaky voice as she tried to take the keys back.