Chapter 18

Kenny wasn't sure what 'Domino's' was but he went with the big kids anyway. They seemed to know his mummy because they knew where she was. They were probably nice people – all of mummy's friends were nice. He felt nervous about talking to the big children, though, because they all seemed very serious and Kenny didn't know what they had to be so serious about. He looked over at the boy in the group who was carrying his sister. She didn't look very well; her skin was paler than usual and her face was a bit wet and it scrunched up every now and then. The Doctor wasn't very good, Kenny thought, because she had walked out of the room when it started rumbling and then never came back in again. She had said she was going to see what was going on but she must have been scared and ran off.

Kenny had enjoyed the rumbling at the start but then it got more violent and he hadn't liked it anymore but it was okay because his mummy had held him in her arms and Luna was there too. But then some weird light thing had come and pulled his mummy and Luna away. When he woke up, though, the rumbling was gone and everything was okay. Mummy was just sleeping, but then she wouldn't wake up and Kenny felt scared again. But then the black-haired girl, Mia, had come and helped. So, the Doctor didn't really have to worry because it was all okay now. He wished his mummy would come back from heaven but Zoe said that she wouldn't which made Kenny sad.

Kenny must have looked sad because Zoe looked down at him and told him that she was going to look after him and keep him safe. She also said that his mummy was very happy up in heaven and that she was sure his mummy would always be with him. That didn't really make sense, though, because mummy couldn't be with him and in heaven at the same time. But, also, mummy's body was still in the hospital so maybe heaven was a dream land, and you can do anything in dreams.

Zoe looked down at Kenny's thoughtful face and felt a pang of pain. A four-year-old boy had just lost his mum and Zoe had no clue where his dad was. If he was in town then he was definitely dead. She knew she needed to ask but how would she explain that to him. She'd only just told him that his mum was in heaven – he didn't know what heaven was. How would she explain that more? She closed her eyes and let the cool breeze brush against her face and listened as the birds chirped somewhere in the distance. The footsteps of her friends steadily thudded against the pavement. Lily was closest to the road with Zoe to her right and Kenny furthest from the road with Mia and Max behind them, Luna still in Max's arms. They walked in an awkward silence as they approached their dreaded destination. A sick feeling built itself up in Zoe's stomach as Domino's came into view. The familiar building had joyful memories of when she and Lily would go and eat lunch there some weekends and when they would laugh and talk with her mum when there weren't any customers waiting to be served. The feeling of happiness that she used to get upon seeing the place didn't make itself present now as the desolate building loomed in front of her, challenging her to step inside and see what had become of it. The instant recognition of the feel of Lily's hand in hers slightly calmed her nerves.

"We don't have to go in if you aren't ready," Lily said softly. "There's always tomorrow."

"Is there, though?" Zoe replied mournfully, before taking a deep breath. "I'm ready."

"What about Kenny and Luna?" came the small voice of Mia. They had walked past ruins of cars on the way there but had only spotted two bodies out in the open and they had made sure the children hadn't seen them. They had no clue what it would be like inside.

"Mia and I could stay out here with them, if you'd like," Max offered. He knew that the brother and sister couldn't possibly go inside and that Mia wouldn't want to leave them. He didn't want Mia out here on her own. Plus, he was carrying the girl.

"That would be great," Lily smiled. "Thanks, guys."

"No problem," Max returned before Lily and Zoe walked up to the door.