chapter ten

They were quickly back to the trails. Techno led the group further and further into the plains, Phil spent time talking with the new additions to the group, talking with Deo, Eret, and Jack, and then would switch over to Big Q whenever Tommy and Tubbo had wandered away from him. Wilbur did much the same as Phil, just having a fun time wandering through the group and almost getting Jack thrown off his horse after "appearing out of nowhere" according to Jack.

The plains turned into tall forests with large stone outcroppings and boulders as they meticulously climbed up hills and leaped over little streams. Whenever they came to a relatively flat area Techno would push his horse into a gallop, with the rest of the party close behind him. Most time after this, Phil would become the head of the party as Tommy would run in front of Techno, which would spur the two into a race until one was clotheslined by a tree or something of the sort.

The first day of travel passed with ease, as did the second and third. Spirits stayed high as days turned to nights and back to days, Jack and Eret pushed their brother into more conversations, which led to many stories being passed around as Big Q and Wilbur found company in one another with their instruments and songs.

On the fourth day of travel, Phil requested they stop early in an effort to give their horses and the group a well-deserved break. The majority of the group was quick to agree and dismount their steeds, though Techno and Eret questioned his motives. They were only a day or so's travel from the next town, which was a large port city from which they would be departing from, but Phil eased them to agree with the promise of some "team-building exercises", whatever that might entail.

Well, as everyone returned to their makeshift campsite after finding a place to tie up their steeds for the night, Phil told everyone what the team-building exercise was.

The answer was capture the flag.

This was met with a generally very excited whooping and hollering. Phil explained the playing ground to everyone and the rules of where they could hide their flag and where the jails were, making sure to make it as fair as he could make it with the random terrain.

Tommy wiggled through the group and crept up beside his dad.

"Hey, hey Phil? Phil, can I be team captain?" Tommy asked, trying his best puppy eyes out.

Phil chuckled, "I mean if you insist, but if you're team captain I want Techno to be the other."

Tommy's head snapped around to his brother, a new ferocity and fire burning behind his eyes as he nodded at his brother to agree.

"Who am I to back down from a... I would say challenge but I feel like that's giving you too much," Techno responded, shrugging off his heavy red cloak and walking it over to his pile of stuff.

"HEY!" Tommy called back dramatically, "Oh, it's on," Tommy turned back around to his father, "Alright Phil, you heard the man-pig bitch! Gimme the flag!"

"Don't you want to pick your team first?" Phil posed.

"Oooh good point," Tommy nodded, looking back around at the group surrounding him, "Well it's not even a question, Tubbo first."

Tubbo smiled and skipped up to his partner, the two watching as Techno took his place on the other side of Phil, looking through the group.

"Eh, I guess Wil for my team," Techno said, waving his friend over. "I guess you're not playing?" Techno asked Phil.

Phil shook his head, "Someone's gotta be the mediator when one of you eminently knocks the other out."

Tommy rolled his eyes and looked through the group, "Deo!" he called, beckoning him over to him and Tubbo.