"Shall we go inside for breakfast?" He offers her his arm. As she takes it she notices a figure hiding in shadow across the street, watching them intently. Her heart immediately skips up and a cold shiver runs up her back. Pretending not to notice the person she heads into the house with her father. The door shuts on the street and they walk towards the staircase to go up to the breakfast room where everyone else is waiting. 

They reach the bottom step and she pulls away from her father. 

"I am not hungry, I think I am going to go for a walk," She says, "Fresh air will do me good." She looks at him for permission. 

"Of course, have a nice time, I shall inform your mother where you have gone," Silas says, "I'll get the cook to save you a pain au chocolate for when you get back."

Clarissa smiles her thanks. She waits for him to disappear up the staircase and to the next floor before she darts to the cupboard by the front door. She pulls on a long black coat with silver buttons and a high collar. She pats the inside of the lining, to check that her knives are still stashed there, before donning it. Satisfied, she straightens her collar and smooths the front of her hair that has been twisted into a plait. She quickly checks her appearance in the mirror before she opens the front door and steps out. She closes the door behind her, searching for the mysterious figure. The shadows now hold no stranger watching the house. She frowns, pivoting on the step. 

 She spies the figure leaning against the fence that runs along the side of her house, there is a cigar in their hand, and they seem quite at ease even with their back to her. Her apprehension turns to annoyance as she recognises the curly hair and tall stature. She walks over to him and coughs politely. The man turns to face her, a lazy expression on his face. 

"You shouldn't be here." She says warningly, keeping her eyes lowered. The man smirks at her. He has a handsome face with high cheekbones and deep chestnut eyes. His lips are slightly lopsided but they only add to his charm. 

"Good morning Miss Clary." His velvety welsh accent plays with her, and she can't help but look up as he takes a puff on his cigar; he makes this simple action a captivating experience. Her eyes fall on his lips and she stares for a moment, imagining what it would be like to press hers to his. She shakes her head when she realises she hasn't said anything and should be peeved, not happy to see him. 

"This is my home, Wyn!" She hisses, taking his arm and dragging him away from her front door. and around the corner, " Where my family live! You can't be here."

"I know, I know, but with you haven't been in contact, and with your line of work I was concerned." He says, sending an inviable jolt through her heart. "I didn't know how else to check up on you." 

"You know my grandfather's died, I've been in mourning, that's why I haven't been around." She says hurriedly. She glances up at her house to see if anyone is looking out of the windows. She bites her lip, thinking. 

"If my family see..." She murmers to herself, unsure how to handle his appearance. 

Wyn drops the butt of his cigar into the ground and crushes it under his shiny brown shoe. Takes her hand and pulls her away from her house to the wall of the house opposite. He traps her between the brick and his body, his hands on the wall, either side of her head. 

"There," He whispers, "Now no one can see you." 

Clarissa is too shocked at his quick actions and the little space between them to retort. She swallows and tries to keep a lid on the emotions that start to rise. 

"What are you doing here?" She croaks. 

"Take a walk with me." He proposes, holding out his right hand. She stares at it as someone would stare at a viper. She pushes to the left and manages to break away from the hold he had her in. She briskly walks away from him and the house, he has to skip to catch up. 

To Deceive A DukeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara