Chapter 17: Kieran

Start from the beginning

       "We're surrounded." She says, "I do not believe they wish to hurt us though." She looks out past us and her voice grows louder, "Or do you? If you do I have to forewarn you that these guys will definitely not be okay with that. Neither will I. If your plan is to harm us, I suggest you back away."

        There's a fierceness in her gaze I've only seen once before. It was the first moment she turned around in that cellar, filled with a wild energy and determination, like she could take on the world, for us. It was at that moment I was captured by her. I've filled my life with any fun and excitement I could find to fill the void within me but it wasn't until her that I felt how hollow all of those activities were. When I fed off of her the first time was when I knew there was no one else for me. She didn't succumb to my gifts as so many others have. She didn't lose herself. I could freely be me for the first time in my life, no holding back. She held me still for the first time in a long time and, for the first time in my life, I enjoyed it. 

        We all gather in closer around her as at least fifteen figures step out from the shadows surrounding us. The pews have since long been removed, only weeds and crumbling brick in their wake, leaving us far too open for attack in the middle of the room. One figure breaks from the pack and walks towards us with their arms raised. When she gets about fifteen feet away Drazik and Forrest both let out a warning growl and the figure stops. 

        "I am going to remove my hood now. We wish no harm on your or yours, Iris of the Goddess Nyx." She raises her hands slowly before removing her hood. 

        "Raven. My name is Raven now." She mumbles as the woman removes her hood. She reaches up to Forrest's stiff back and places her hand on it, "Any chance you guys could move a little bit? I can't see anything through the man forest surrounding me." She chuckles at her own joke and a few of us smiling, some of the tension leaving our bodies. 

        Forrest shifts to the side so Raven can see what's happening and she gasps. She takes a step forward, towards the woman who just removed her hood. 

        "Bella?" Raven asks.

         I look to the human and my brows furrow. The woman is tall and willowy with pale skin and long blonde hair pulled into a plait that falls over her shoulder. Her eyes are a crystal clear blue that seem to shine even though there's not much light in the abandoned church. 

        "No, priestess." The woman answers, "Bella was my many times removed great grandmother. I am Isabella, named after that same great grandmother. My peers call me Izzy. I assume you are here for the book you tasked her with safeguarding." 

         Raven simply stares at the woman, entranced, before she comes back to herself. She blinks a few times before steeling her resolve and nodding. 

        "I am." She says, a slight wobble to her voice, "I am glad to see she was able to keep her promise. How was her life, after her escape?" 

        Izzy smiles, "It was good. She met a wonderful man, fell in love, and their love brought about me." 

        "And are you human, like she was?" Raven asks. 

        "I am not. Bella fell in love with a kitsune after her escape from your prison. Their offspring were all Kitsune, as am I." She explains. 

        Raven's face lights up and a smile appears, "I'm glad she found love. Is her mate still with us?" 

        Izzy shakes her head, "No he died when Bella did. He had lived hundreds of years before her and could not find the will to live without her. We live on in his stead." She motions to the people around us, "This is the order of Nyx. We are small and comprised of supernaturals from all walks of life. Bella started it as a way to always keep the book safeguarded. We stand between the world and it for it is the only way to right the world once again." She looks to Raven, "Now though, you have come. So instead we stand with you."