1. Our Guts Out

As soon as they could think, they panicked.

It was dark. It was also cramped. They felt trapped, and they were trapped.

Things were blocking them.

Hard things. Soft things. Thin things. It was scary, being blocked.

They panicked.

They tore from their chains, which broke into jagged pieces. Those pieces sliced into the tubes that crisscrossed.

Something hot and wet filled their cells, the same liquids.

But they didn't care.

They were too busy using the pieces of their chains to make legs and arms.

They crawled up.

They squashed and mushed the things that blocked their ways. Those things became glop.

They didn't care.

They had to get out.

They found more chains and more things. They ignored them.

While they climbed, they could hear a similar sound. It was loud, quite thunderous. A deep beating of infernal drums.

They all hated the drums.

When they came upon them, they didn't stop. They kept on crawling. Those drums were turned into mush.

No more beating.

They quickly reached tunnels. Said tunnels were small and tight. Nearly too tight for them to pass through.

But they did pass through.

The tunnels stretched and rippled, bursting open in their accessions.

They didn't care.

They were there.

They still couldn't see a thing. But they could all feel the light waiting beyond the same rows of stones.

They crawled out of the dark.

They pulled themselves free.

They fell, fell, fell.

Screams echoed across the big city, as the unthinkable happened.

People ran from their friends and families, eyes wide with shock. They ran from the bodies as...

Stomachs fell from open mouths, landing on hard cement and rugs and wood. They were bloody. They remained motionless for what seemed like ages.

And then, they stabbed lengths of shattered bone into the ground, and they began to crawl.