Part 22

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Watching you perform. Duh!" Morgen smiles sweetly at me.

"Oh."

"Oh? I am skipping school today because I want to watch my sister sing." She shrugs her shoulders.

"You have an exam to write in the afternoon?" I narrow my eyes in a playful way. "So you are free for the morning."

She raises her hands. "Well I am here now so..."

I roll my eyes and smile. My sister can be funny sometimes.

"So you ready?" Chris wraps his arms around me.

"Watch yourself with my little sister." Morgen waves her finger to Chris.

"Yes ma'am." Chris laughs.

Morgen places her hands on her hips. "I am not old Mr. Chris."

"Then what would you prefer?"

She places a finger on her lips as if she is thinking. She naps her fingers. "Sister of your GF."

Chris and I both burst out laughing.

"Thanks sis." I bump her shoulder.

"For what?" she asks.

"You know what." I wink at her and go back inside.

I can hear the hall echoing with voices, and I take in a deep breath before walking back on stage to the microphone.

I look at Chris and he starts playing the piano. Riley starts to play the lead guitar, and then as if I somehow know, I start to sing.

***

Everyone is silent. Nobody stands up or even coughs. I see my sister stand and as she claps, everyone else follows. I can feel my cheeks are turning red. Even the mean girls are clapping.

"Wow! What a performance." Mr. Bakes walks onto the stage.