CHAPTER ONE; part two

Start from the beginning

     "We're right as rain," she says, smiling at me as she disappears back into the house.

     Amelia's eyebrows move and I think she's just rolled her eyes. "Trouble in paradise?" I ask.

     "I'm losing it, Cas," she says dismally. "I wish Dres had another bed... Though I'm really about to forfeit and just pitch a tent in his backyard or something. Being back home after moving out is just..."

     "You're telling me," I mumble.

     She looks up at that and maybe she's frowning, I can't tell. "Ugh, I'm sorry," she says quickly. "I'm an insensitive asshole."

     "What if I get like a, I don't know, blow up bed? Would you go stay with him if I did?"

     Amelia's eyebrows crease. "I mean, I - I don't know that Dres really wants..."

     I nod my head vigorously. "I really think he does. And needs it, honestly. He's been alone for four weeks."

     "Well then, yeah, if he's fine with it. Dolores and Charles are basically on a honeymoon. And if I have to watch another episode of Deal or No Deal I am going to go AWOL."

     "Alright, I'll broach the subject with him and get back to you."

     Amelia stands, wiping the back of her sweatpants. "You don't think you're going to be able to move back in anytime soon?"

     I shrug, disheartened. "I have no idea, honestly. The numbers are still rising. ICU's full. ER is taking the overflow. I don't think there's an actual moment during my shift where I don't cross Covid's path."

     "Damn, okay," Amelia responds. "I'm happy to do it if he wants me to. But you know what he really needs is you, right?"

     "I do, yeah," I say quietly, not really concerned if she hears me or not.

     There was a time in my life where hearing something like that would've sent me over the moon. It's not a question anymore, of Dres needing me. I think the last eight months have proved as much. I need him just as much, if not more. And the moment, the second, it's safe enough to go home to him, I will. Until then, this is the best I can do.

     "I'll text you," I call to her.

     When I get to Jack's, he's standing outside on his phone. I step out, walking to the middle of his front path, where I drop his bags and then wait for him to finish his call on the sidewalk. He's wearing basketball shorts and slippers with a button up and tie. He doesn't have a mask on and gives me a sheepish look as he tucks his phone into his pocket and walks out to get his groceries.

     "The lifesaver himself," he greets with a small smile. "Sorry bout that. Dealing with about a million things here."

    On his front lawn is a sign that says Honk! An Amazing Teacher Lives Here. Jasmine teaches grade school, fifth grade. I can't imagine how hard online schooling must be and with their own kids at home. I understand why Jack's looking a little worse for wear.

     "How are you?" he asks. He hasn't backed up that much and I'm uncomfortable with the lack of space between us, even though it's at least six feet of distance.

     "You know," I say with a shrug.

     Jack raises an eyebrow questioningly. "No, I don't know. S'why I asked."

     "Are you gonna run back and tell Dres? He's worrying enough as it is," I say after a moment. Maybe that's a bit pointed but I'm not in the business of mincing words at the moment, a side effect of being absolutely bone-weary.