The Parallelism in A Tale of Two Cities

secret

English

Mrs. secret

November 1, 2020

The Parallelism in A Tale of Two Cities

Eight years have passed since the marriage of Lucie and Darnay. Life has never been better in London, everyone is content with their lives, everyone is safe and the people are prosperous. But there is turmoil brewing in France, the people are in a frenzy of violence and are seeking revenge as a form of justice. There is no peace there, nor is there mercy. [KP1] By comparing the lives of both the people in England and in France, Dickens creates an opposition between the two cities that illustrates how both places are facing very different circumstances. [KP2]

Lucie, Darnay, the Doctor and Little Lucie are all happy and safe in Soho. "A wonderful corner of echoes, it has been remarked, that corner where the Doctor lived. Ever busily winding the golden thread which bound her husband, and her father, and herself, and her old directress and companion, in a life of quiet bliss, Lucie sat in the still house in the tranquility resounding corner, listening to the echoing footsteps of years" (159). This passage clearly illustrates what life is like in Soho with the Manettes. There is no turmoil or difficulties they must face; life is very easy. The family lives together undivided, as shown by the golden thread that weaves around them. The golden thread that comes from Lucie and connects her entire family with love. The years seem to have blended together and the way the passage was written it seems to have passed by in the blink of an eye for many of the characters. Their life may not be adventurous or they may not need to face an entire revolution, instead they live quietly and blissfully in each other's company and that of friend's. This quotation lucidly illustrates life in London, especially for the Manettes who are living tranquilly. This will greatly contrast the next quotation that represents the lives of those in France fighting for the revolution.

It is always important to appreciate the little things, the moments of peace that one can find in your busy life. The Manettes seem to follow this mentality, but not the Defarges. Finally, their plan is being set into motion. France is currently in a frenzy of violence and the people are seeking revenge as a form of justice.

The villagers of Saint Antoine are preparing themselves and amassing a large number of weapons. They plan on raiding the prison of Bastille. The Defarges lead them, they want revenge, they all want revenge. "Headlong, mad and dangerous footsteps to force their way into anybody's life, footsteps not easily made clean again if once stained red, the footsteps raging in Saint Antoine afar off as the little circle sat in the dark London window." (162). By using this quotation, it directly parallels the first quotation. It shows that while the footsteps in London or more specifically in Soho, are calm and peaceful, the footsteps in France seem rushed, loud and violent. There is a repetition and emphasis of the word "footsteps", this creates a parallel between the people in London and the people of France.

The balance that both of these quotations create side by side is note-worthy. While England represents peace, tranquility, and love, France is the direct opposite representing mindless violence and danger. Both of the quotations show what life is like in their respective countries and the state of their people.