Does society change who and how we love?

secret(10th grade)

Mr. secret

English, 3/2

Friday 17, 2020

Does society change who and how we love?

There are many themes to choose from in the novel "Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson. There are so many examples of love, changed love, hate and racism. For my art piece I decided to represent how society could change love. Does the outside world influence who we love and how we love? The characters all have very complex relationships with each other and for my art piece I decided to represent a young Hatsue and Ishmael inside their safe space, the cedar tree. It always bothered me that they could've been happy together but because of their parents or society's views, that all changed. Deep down Hatsue didn't love Ishmael, the boy whom she had spent most of her life with because she felt it wasn't right. But why would she think that in the first place? She did love him at some point, but that all changed.

In chapter eight, Hatsue and Ishmael both find themselves inside the cedar tree they had both built together as young children. They then spend some time together and talk about what their parents would think if they discovered that they were with each other. Despite this, in the cedar tree they are safe to be alone together. "Ishmael lay down with his hands propping up his chin and looked out at the rain. The inside of the tree felt private. He felt they would never be discovered here. The walls surrounding them were glossy and golden." (111). The tree symbolizes protection from society's prejudices and allows both Hatsue and Ishmael to be themselves. The tree is like a sanctuary for both of them. '"do you think this is wrong?" she asked. "Other people do," said Ishmael. "Your friends would," he added. "And you parents."' (112). Here they are free to speak to each other about anything and everything. It's a space untouched by society deep into the woods where no one would find them.

My art piece is meant to portray this very scene or a younger version of these two characters. It is stated in the book that they used to play in the cedar tree as very young children. They are now grown up, but Hastue still comes to the tree so she can think. In my piece there are two figures inside the cedar tree who are meant to represent a young Ishmael and Hatsue together. They are both inside the tree protected from the outside world. You cannot tell who is who. The figures could be anyone, anyone who needs to hide in a sanctuary to avoid the prejudices in society when it comes to loving someone. Both the figures represent Hastue and Ishmael but so many others as well. It is not a "jap" and a "white" who are in love. It is two human beings who could've been together if it were not for what lay outside their cedar tree.

Therefor my piece represents the security both characters felt alone with each other in their sanctuary and how when they leave into the real world they are hit with the harsh truth that others will never accept them together. I believe that Hatsue felt this all along their relationship and that is why she never could bring herself to truly and fully love Ishmael. This is further proved when we discover what she had written in the letter to Ishmael in chapter twenty-four. Why did she not love him? Growing up with all the prejudices ingrained in her head, deep down she couldn't love him. "Whenever we were together. I knew it. I felt it inside of me. I loved you and I didn't love you at the very same moment". Outside the cedar tree is the real world. The tree could be a prison which no one would ever want to leave but you must, it is necessary. They both entered the real world and it changed them forever, yet they continue to live because what else can you do?

(I threw away the art peice that went with this essay...)

(this had been an extra credit project btw)