Chapter Two

When did we start lying to each other?

I thought the two of us knew everything about one another. We swore we would always tell the truth. So why didn't Rocky feel like he could trust me with this?

As I walked over to sit down, I completely missed the chair and fell to the floor. Rocky helped me up and smirked.

"Don't you have something you wanted to tell me? Was it about our little stumble this morning? Looks like you're already falling for me." He teases as he plays with the dress strap on my shoulder.

I hold my breath and swat his hand away. "No, it isn't. Forget I said anything."

He winked at me before setting the plates away. "Don't worry Len, I'm not going to touch you unless you beg."

"I'm going to strangle you Rocky Tyler."

"Is that a promise?"

I rolled my eyes at him. "Stop distracting me. Are you sure there isn't anything else you need to tell me?"

"No...is there something you need to tell me?"

"No..."

Rocky's parents enter the dining room wearing identical smiles.

"Are the two of you fighting again?" His mom says.

His dad chuckles and ruffles his son's hair. "With all this constant bickering it's like the two of you are siblings."

I scoffed.

Siblings. 

Of course, that's how he would always see me. Why didn't I notice before? I was too busy with my major crush on him to consult his feelings.

I look over at Rocky whose face turns a bright beet red.

"Len has to get to the pizza shop." He says quickly.

Then he gives both of his parents a kiss and they wrap me in a tight hug. Before his mom lets go she whispers in my ear. "You're good for him. When you're around he doesn't get into any trouble."

She pulls away and I smile at her. "Don't worry Mrs. Tyler. I'm not going anywhere."

Rocky grabs our jackets takes my hand then heads out the door.

"You do realize that was a terrible lie," I say.

"What do you mean?"

"It's eleven."

He sighs and gives me a small smile. "I just needed to get out of there okay?"

I link my arm with him as we walk down the sidewalk. "You know you can tell me anything right?"

"I know."

There's an ear-splitting scream nearby and I freeze, my body shaking. Rocky and I look at each other.

Then someone covered in leather emerges from the corner. They have their hands in the air and their backs to us.

I pull on Rocky's sleeve. "Why is he standing like that?"

"We should-"

Bam! Bam!

His body twists and blood splatters from his stomach.

"Oh my god." I manage to say.

He falls to the ground with a thud.

My instincts tell me to run. To go find help, but I know this person, whoever they are, is long gone.