Chapter 15

Alec feels as if he can't breathe. Magnus says he hasn't thought about severing their bond before, and he can't now because of their son, but what about after? After their son is born Magnus can sever their bond and keep him at a distance. Alec will even make sure that they go to a different Warlock so they aren't constantly bugging Magnus for service.

He also knows that leaving Magnus unattended and hurt is doubtless the worst thing worst thing to do right now, however Alec needs to collect his thoughts. He needs to prepare to get used to not feeling Magnus, to not be emotionally invested in the man who is going to be birthing his child in only a few short months.

"Alec!" Jace comes barreling towards him at a fast pace.

"What is it Jace?" Alec questions exasperated.

"We have a demon attack in midtown Manhattan."

Alec lets out a breath. "Let me get my bow then we can go."

Jace looks at him quizzically. "Are you sure you can? Your wound is still healing from last month."

Alec rolls his eyes. "I'll be fine. It's just a big, long scab. I don't even see why I still need to wear the stupid gauze." Jace gives him one last look before conceding and going with Alec to the weapons, where Alec stocks up on arrows and runes them, putting a Seraph Blade in his holster.

Izzy meets them at the front door, a smirk on her lips until she sees Alec. Her smile turns into a frown, worry for her brother showing. He reassures her that he'll be fine.

"What happened earlier with you and Magnus?" Jace asks when they're outside. "Have either of you considered removing the bond before you found out about your son?"

"I didn't even know for a while that Magnus is my mate," Alec admits truthfully. "I didn't even know about our son either. I wasn't with Magnus from the beginning so I can't speak for him and say if he has or hasn't thought about removing me as his mate."

"What about after your son is born?"

Alec shakes his head. "Neither one of us knows where we stand in a relationship. I'm willing to let Magnus remove the bond if it's what he wants. I don't mind if he doesn't want to do business with us unless it involves the wellbeing of out son."

"And you, Big Brother? Do you want Magnus as your mate?" Izzy asks, placing a hand on Alec's shoulder.

Alec takes a deep breath. "I don't want to talk about it right now, can we get on with the hunt?"

--

By noon in midtown Manhattan Jace has killed ten demons, Izzy fifteen (they've decided to have a competition about who can kill more demons and the loser cleans the weapons and the bathrooms), and Alec has used half of his arrows killing demons on the ground and in the sky. (Who knew there were flying demons?)

Jace and Izzy are caught up in their competition and the demons on the ground that they fail to notice a bird-like demon going for them. Alec is about to shoot an arrow when the demon grabs his brother and sister in its claws and flies away. Alec can't shoot unless he wants to take the risk of also hitting either Jace or Izzy in the process. Activating his Stamina and Speed Runes Alec trails after the monster.

The demon leads Alec to the beach. As his feet hit the sand Alec is able to notch an arrow and shoot it, causing the demon to let go of Jace, dropping his Parabatai in the water. "GO! I'll be fine!" Jace calls out to him. Alec doesn't have time to respond so he just nods as he chases after the demon and his sister.