Prologue

It happened so fast. Learning about apples and bananas, and the next thing that happened, the next-door classroom started screaming. Gunshots are everywhere.

Keith woke up on the cold and bloody floor. He hyperventilated, trying not to look at the lifeless bodies of his classmates. He backed away, feeling the urge to vomit. He searched for the doorknob while his vision still fixed on his once cheerful class. He felt the doorknob, twisting it, and ran away.

He thought he was lucky that the shooter might have mistaken him for being dead. He has to leave. Keith is finally outside the classroom. He froze, not knowing what to do. Tears escape his eyes due to panic. He just wanted to finger-paint.

"Hey!" Someone exclaimed.

He turned around, getting pushed into the janitor's closet. The person went in with him, locking the door, and put the desk over the door.

"What's gonna happen now?" Keith whispered between hiccups.

"I don't know," the person replied. "We should stay put for now," he added.

"Are we going to be fine?" Keith asked, tugging on his sweater.

He looked at his hand on his sweater and to his amber eyes. He felt butterflies in his stomach. He felt sick.

"What... Huh... I, what was the question?" He stuttered, getting lost in his words.

"Are we going to die?" Keith asked fearfully.

"Hey. We'll get out of here, I promise." He replied, somehow trying to calm me down. "We'll color more dinosaur pictures," Keith smiled, feeling calm.

The person looked around the room. He stopped and stepped away.

"There's a gun," he carried the big gun with his small hands.

"No, that's dangerous," Keith said, making him put down the weapon.

"I could use this to get us out alive," he said determinedly. "I could stop the shooting."

"But..." Keith hesitated to continue his path of words. "Okay..." he said that instead. "Are you gonna leave?"

The other boy nodded to his question. It felt like he had no choice.

"Okay, wait..." Keith grabbed something in his pocket. He took the boy's hand and gave him an apple. "Here, it's for good luck. It's supposed to be my lunch, but it doesn't matter anymore."

The boy's eyes sparkled with admiration. He looked at him.

"You... know about apples too?" He asked in awe.

"You do too?" Keith asked the same question, feeling the same thing.

"Ah wow... I never met someone who knows apples..." He said, scratching the back of his neck, blushing. "I'm Pico, by the way."

"I'm Keith," he introduced.

"I'd kiss anyone who eats apples too," Pico joked.

Keith chuckled, his mood drastically changed. "But what if we don't make it out here alive?"

"I don't want that to happen," Pico replied.

They heard footsteps. That was the signal that they should duck. They scurry closer to each other, feeling each other's body temperature as they hugged. Keith felt himself shaking in fear, and so does Pico.

Keith started to cry at the thought of dying. The thought of not reaching his teen years yet.

"Alright... I'm going out," Pico whispered bravely, standing up proudly.

Pico stopped at the door, turning around. "But if I die, I don't want it to be wasteful. I thought... that we... should try something out."

Keith tilted my head in curiosity. "Okay, what is it?"

"Like... I haven't tried hugging, holding hands, and... Kissing..."

"What?! But we're both boys!" Keith exclaimed defensively.

"No one's going to find out," Pico protested. "Also, who wants to try it with a female anyway? They have herpes."

"But what if we survive? Our memory of this is gonna stay."

"Bold of you to assume we're gonna live." Pico ruffled his hair. He noticed the mistake when he said that. "Then... I'll see you in heaven... Or hell? I hope we meet in the afterlife."

"O... Okay..." Keith agreed.

He cupped Pico's cheeks and leaned forward.Pico backed away quickly. Keith blinked a couple of times in embarrassment.

"W-wait, I'm not ready yet," Pico said, running at the corner.

"Well... Hurry up?" Keith chuckled nervously.

Pico mumbled to himself in the corner, ranting about inaudible stuff. He inhaled sharply and turned around with a brave face. He formed a fist and marched silently to Keith. He gulped painfully, leaning towards him.

As their lips touched, everything felt like a non-literal explosion.

"Hey, this is the best experience I've ever had. My stomach is twitching and stuff. I think I need to poop but not really," Pico said with a smile.

"Eeww," Keith giggled, punching his shoulder playfully. "Okay, Romeo." He won't deny that he felt the same way.

"If we make it out here alive, don't tell anyone about this."

"If," Pico emphasized.

...

That was an interesting backstory. There was lots of therapy. It was awkward the first few days. Recovering for a bit, and went back to school. As days went by, they felt more comfortable around each other.

No one knew what happened in the janitor's closet except for them. They started to have a secret relationship. Though it became obvious right away, Pico's closest friends found out. Both of them felt weirded out at first, but they understood eventually.

Though because of complicated backgrounds, Keith thought Pico was too much. He moved away and transferred to another school.

Pico stood in front of the janitor's closet, his heartbreaking. He set fire to that room, never going back to that memory again.

Never again will he be fooled.