Chapter Eighteen - Peace

Start from the beginning

"Kymil?" Nel looked at the elf who checked her pulse and shrugged. After a few minutes of checking a few other vitals he shook his hand perpendicular then raised one finger. "He says within the next hour. Oh, by the way Beila this is Kymil, the second guard I told you about."

Bemila watched him approach her with a predator's silent stalk. His thin black hair was tied back and just grazed his powerful muscles that bulged against the thin material of his shirt. He paused a respectful distance from her and bent low at the waist, exposing the back of his head, which held non visible braids. She dropped the towel onto the chair and rose, gulping as she immediately realized it made no difference as he still towered over her by several feet.

She curtsied, but froze halfway through when Nel snorted. I did not just curtsy. She frantically stood up and brushed out her skirts. Since day one, it had been drilled into her head that a royal never curtsied, except to another royal. How her ears were going to ring when Madam Draenna finds out.

Could she do anything right today?

"It's nice to meet you." she managed to get out before snatching up the towel and hurried out of the room after declaring she needed a different needle.

"Make sure not to go too far this time." Nel called out. She nodded, but right as the door snapped shut she heard his chuckle. "She likes you." There was silence, but clearly something happened to make Nel continue laughing, "Mother your face is red."

She flinched as the smack sounded right through the door.

"Alright, alright. Mind getting some firewood? I'm sure our queens would appreciate some warmth when they return."

Bemila dashed away from the door before they opened it and found her spying on the other side.

For the next hour, or at least that's what she figured, she searched each room from top to bottom in search for something. She didn't really need a new needle, but her curiosity led her to wanting to find something.

Most of the rooms were stripped bare, and the furniture left behind was so simple to move that even a fool wouldn't try to leave something hidden around it. She started to walk back to Nel when it became increasingly painful to curl her fingers after running them over the frozen stone walls. She shoved one of the beds back against the wall and walked out, straight into Kymil.

Walking straight into a wall would've been softer, as even the wooden logs in his arms didn't shift.

"I'm sorry." she quickly apologized, rubbing the edge of her head that ran straight into his elbow. He remained silent, but his eyes politely looked her over then looked at the pile of wood, both of them realizing she could easily walk underneath it. She wasn't that short, was she? She cleared her throat. "Are you heading back?"

He nodded.

"Do you ever speak?"

He shook his head.

"May I ask why?"

His eyes broke away from her and he started walking down to the hallway.

She had to run to catch up with him, and continued jogging to keep his pace. They were both silent the rest of the way, and when they reached the door he gave a quick knock before letting her enter first.

Movement on the bed caught her eye immediately and for the first time she looked Queen Nikolai in the eye.

* * * * * *

Nikolai felt a heavy dose of deja vu when she opened her eyes and found herself in her old room. How many times did she spend the night staring at that cathedral ceiling? Despite the twenty years of not seeing it, she was still sick of seeing it again. She pitied her father who had to for thirty-eight more years than she did.