22.

'If I stay with you, if I'm choosing wrong

I don't care at all'

*

Gone to the office. Make yourself at home. Will be back later.

-H

My eyes scanned over the sheet of paper once more. Harry has never been one with words, it seems. Everything is short and sweet. Always spoken in metaphors or cryptic phrases. I should be used to it by now.

When I woke this morning, I forgot where I was for a moment, even why I am here. There were no memories of someone trying to murder me the night before. No recollection of wiping blood off of myself and Harry. Nothing to indicate that a very dangerous man was after me purely because of my contact with Harry. It was complete bliss, opening my eyes as my body splayed out in the comfort of the bed. The sun shone in through the gap of the curtains that I had not fully closed, hitting my face with such warmth a thin layer of sweat sat on my brow.

Then it all hit me in an instant. Images of guns, the feeling of that man's hand around my throat as he choked me, the quick getaway while police sirens called out into the London streets. All the fears I had last night resurfaced as quickly as they left, and I was left to deal with it alone, in a house that is still so quiet I dread the silence. It leaves me to dwell on the noise inside my head.

It's a grand house, but there's little life to it. I had no time to explore last night, but I suppose there is nothing better for me to do now. The room I found myself situated in was plain, but the furniture clearly expensive. In truth, it was the best night of sleep I had ever had, despite how busy my brain had been when I drifted off. Maybe it was the adrenaline wearing off and settling into a state of exhaustion that helped my slumber, but the comfort of the mattress also played a part. The frame is wooden, decorated with intricate gold designs. It's the type of bed you only really see in films or television shows that deal with royalty or aristocracy. In many ways it doesn't surprise me that Harry has chosen this, considering the God complex he seems to hold.

The bedding is cream, basic, but the pillowcases silk. The sensation when my head rested on them instantly brought me relief. Yes, everything felt expensive and luxurious, which brought little insight into the type of man Harry is. Any other display of character in this room and many others is null and void. Other than his office, that is. A room I intended to inspect in full today.

I had dragged myself down to the kitchen already, tea brewed and drank. There were pieces of fruit on the side that I nibbled at, but my appetite wasn't all there. Nothing like almost dying to turn you off your food. Then my feet worked on their own, walking me to whatever room my mind so aimlessly desired to see. I don't have a plan, necessarily. I just want to find something, anything that can reveal a secret of his.

The trousers I'm wearing pull behind me, my feet tripping on them every now and again. Harry had given me some of his own clothes for bed last night, agreeing that a pencil skirt and shirt with blood on were not the best choice for sleep. Just a t-shirt and jogging bottoms. They smelt like him; I picked up the scent the minute he gave them to me. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't inhaled it from the top as much as I could before I brought it over my head to cover my cold body. It had worn away slightly by this morning, but some musky tones still lingered in my nostrils. In many ways it felt like he was still in the house, protecting me like he promised.

I stop at one of the doors that remain closed. I had noticed it last night, so it seemed like a good place to start. Not far off from the kitchen, but still in the midst of the grandeur under this roof. Luckily, the door is not locked, clicking open when I turn the handle. The midday sun brightens the room enough to not need a light. For once, it is not running. April is notorious for its showers. As I step in I let my gaze fall outside first, finally getting a glimpse of the gardens. Hopefully I'll be able to explore before nightfall. There are flower beds placed everywhere, some with roses, others sprouting carnations. In the back are lavender bushes, bees buzzing around contently in the daylight from flower to flower. I notice a pond situated not far to the right, small, but impressive. I imagine there to be some exotic fish in there.