Chapter 6: Try To Trust Me

Start from the beginning

"Enough said. I don't wanna talk about this any longer," Danny striked the air.

"Can I ask what we're still doing at school? I thought we collectively agreed to ditch at lunch time," said Julian.

"Guyyyys, what are we gonna do today?" Miles groaned. "I wanna go to the store, pick up some ice cream and chill at the park."

"We can always go to the Nasty Cherry Pit and catch some live music," Marilyn suggested.

"Yeah but that's later, I'm talking about now," said Miles.

"The arcade is open. How about it?" said Julian.

"Nah, man, let's just chill in my basement and play Mario Kart on the Super Nintendo," said Danny. Miles and Marilyn sucked their teeths.

"That's too boring. I wanna be outside," Marilyn complained.

"It's just until school is over, relax!" Danny scolded. "Lauren, what do you wanna do?"

Said girl's lips twisted to the side in distaste as she watched Karla run away from Eli with a football in her hands, squealing and glancing over her shoulder until he caught her, lifted her up and spun her around. August caught the football Eli tossed back to him so the jocks could continue their game and walked back to his position in line while staring in the direction Lauren was sitting; she figured everything he had been doing was just to get Marilyn's attention, and that had been the case for days now. But nevermind August, Lauren concerned herself with Eli and Karla again only to wish she hadn't because the quarterback had his lips locked onto hers and his wandering hands all over her back. Karla stood on her toes, manicured hands sliding up the sides of his neck until her arms snaked around it, urging him closer.

Witnessing what they all of a sudden started doing after Monday had her by the throat and constricted her lungs of doing its job. She could feel her stomach flopping around like a fish out of water, her chest contracting and something burning in her limbs that induced both nausea and anger. Lauren grinded her teeth and grimaced at both the new couple and herself for feeling everything but neutral or happy about it.

"Either you're stoned and in another world or you're just deliberately ignoring us, 'cos we've been trying to get your attention for the last two minutes and it ain't working," Marilyn giggled, gently shaking her sister's shoulder as she craned her head around to look at her.

Lauren blinked until she could function correctly again, and she tuned back into what the group was talking about. "Sorry. Yeah, I'm just stoned," she shrugged. She wasn't even high.

"Babe, tell us what you feel like doing until school is over. We're breaking out of here but no one can decide on what to do—it's either the Super Nintendo at my place, the arcade or eating some ice cream at the park," Danny moved down a row to sit next to Lauren and put his arm around her.

"I'm not going with you guys," she said dryly.

"What do you mean you're not coming?" he asked like that was the most ridiculous thing to ever come out her mouth.

"I mean I'm not coming. I'm staying."

"Why? No, dude, don't do that. Come on," Miles protested.

"Are you sure?" asked Marilyn, actually considering doing that herself for reasons having nothing to do with Lauren and everything to do with the blonde haired Wide Receiver she's been quietly dreaming about since sophomore year. Only now has he taken an actual interest in her, but they still had yet to converse again and it tortured her.

"I'm sure. Seriously, you guys go ahead."

"Laur," Julian scoffed in disbelief, "what are you gonna do for the rest of the school day?"