Part 5: Komolika's Send Off

Hi Readers!! Merry Christmas!!I wasn't planning on publishing this part until Tuesday but given the response and welcome I received I wanted to express my gratitude to u all. So here's part 5. Enjoy it and keep the love and feedback coming!

At the Basu's Party

"Ma main Zara aaya",Anurag said excusing himself.No doubt Prerna ka dinner arrange Karne ja Raha hoga, Mohini thought smiling,I am so proud of him, he is such a caring husband.Her eyes went to Prerna talking to Mishka and Ved.Her smile turned into scowl.Par yeh sab iss ladki ko kaha Nazar aata hai.Isse toh bas apne guroor aur apne ego ki pari hai,Mohini thought angrily.As she saw Moloy tending to Mr.Bajaj and other business associates,Mohini walked around mingling with other guests.But unlike other times her heart was in it.She kept thinking about Anurag-Prerna's relationship and her son's future.Prerna loved Anurag she was sure of that.But Anurag loved her more, his reaction to her staged death left no doubt in her mind.Main woh raat kabhi nahi bhoolungi, Mohini thought emotionally,Woh raat sirf Tere liye nahi beta mere liye bhi Meri Zindagi ki sabse kaali raat thi.It was a mother's worst nightmare come true!!

~FOUR DAYS BEFORE THE PARTY~

Mohini was sitting in the hall,smiling as she read Prerna's confession letter for the second time.In the letter, Prerna had confessed to Naveen Babu being the father of her baby,not Anurag(the paternity test report which came with the letter confirmed the same).She had lied about her baby's father to ruin Komolika and Anurag's marriage and have Anurag all to herself.But seeing Moloy's grief over Rajesh's death she realized the mistake she made exploiting her Kakababu's benevolence.She was leaving this house and their lives never to return again.She was too embarrassed to face them which is why she is apologizing through this letter rather than meeting them in person.This letter was sent to Mohini, who wanted to show this to the whole family at once.Therefore, she was waiting for her daughter in law Komolika.How can she be so irresponsible! Mohini thought annoyed,Mishka ke saath Jo hua uske baad she should've been more careful.Just then Komolika walked in."Mom! Dad kaha hai?",she asked impatiently."Moloy to apne-", Mohini was cut off by Komolika,"Nahi mom main apne dad ki baat kar rahi hoon",she said rolling her eyes."Kya?Mr.Chaubey?Woh yaha kyu honge Komolika?",Mohini asked appalled at the idea of sheltering a criminal in her prestigious house."Par unhone to Karan ko phone karke-", Komolika halted as a sudden realization dawned upon her,"Oh my God!Karan!I can't believe yeh khayal pehle mere dimaag mein kyu nahi aaya!",she said holding her head in between her hands.Mohini was about to ask her what did she mean, when she saw Anurag coming downstairs.Something was not right.Anurag's cheeks were tear stained,his eyes bloodshot and his hair in disarray.Mohini saw that his shirt was untucked and Anurag looked like he had aged ten years older."Onu what's wrong baby?",Mohini asked alarmed.Anurag was hyperventilating."Anurag Kya baat hai?",Komolika's asked nervously."I thought Maine tumse kaha tha, Maine tumse baar baar kaha tha..",he said letting out a sigh,"Maine tumse kaha tha na ki main Prerna se pyaar karta hoon, maine tumse Shaadi sirf uske liye ki,jab Tak Prerna khush hai, sahi salamat hai tab Tak main tumhari har baat manoonga-".

"Onu tum yeh Kya bol rahe ho tum aur uss ladki se pyaar-",Mohini said shocked.Anurag continued to speak,as if uninterrupted,"-lekin jis din tum Prerna ko hurt karogi woh din tumhari Zindagi ka aakhri din hoga",he glared at her."Yeh Maine tumse kaha tha ki nahi?YEH MAINE KAHA THA KI NAHI!!!!",Anurag thundered.Hearing him, Moloy,Nivi and Anupam rushed to the hall."Ma yeh sab Kya ho Raha hai?",Nivi asked confused. Mohini rushed to Nivi's side saying,"Nivi dekh na yeh Onu Kya anaab-shanaab bol Raha?Ye keh Raha hai ki isse uss Prerna se pyaar?-Nahi!".She turned towards Anurag taking his face between her hands,she said,"Onu, dekh main jaanti hoon ki tujhe Prerna ki pregnancy ko leke bohot guilt hai lekin iska yeh Matlab to nahi(walking towards Komolika) ki tum apna gussa iss masoom bachchi pe nikaalo!This is not done Onu!", Mohini added angrily. Komolika saw her chance and pretended to cry and said,"Dekha na aapne Mummyji woh Prerna jaate jaate bhi humare beech jhagra kaara ke gayi.". That's strange, Mohini thought,Isse kaise pata ke Prerna jaa chuki hai.