Love at First Letter - 14

Start from the beginning

The folded up letter was burning a whole through my pocket. I couldn't help but smile at her sarcasm and her ability to ramble about anything that had to do with her writing career. Even if it does have anything slightly to do with this Parker guy. I didn't like him.

I did smile, however; at the fact that she gave me permission to hospitalize a boy who didn't even exist. Although, if something did happen like that again and some pig put his hand on either of my baby sisters I won't need her permission. It'll happen faster than anyone could even attempt to hold me back. There wasn't going to be any stopping me, just like there wasn't the first time. And then, I didn't have a few years of military training behind me. The next time, I pray there won't be, he'll be even worse.

Everyone knew Sergeant Tate was still away on medical leave and we weren't really sure if he was coming back at all. We all knew that gunshot wounds to the chest can permanently damage you and he might not be able to pass the heath test to get back out here. I know that will be tough for him, he loves fighting for his country, but I think that he'll also be happy to spend more time with his family. To make up for the time he's lost.

There were a few boys sitting around in chair around a table. I took a spot in the middle of them, there was a map laid out on the table. It showed the terrain for miles, it showed buildings and anything we could use to our advantage. Hunter who was the only one standing, was leaning over the map circling a few areas with a black marker.

"These are the areas in which we believe they will be coming from. We've had a few spotters catch them in the outskirts of town. There smartest move would be to come at us from the west," He moved his finger along the map marking one of their possible routes. "While this group will be coming from the south." He explained. "That would give them the most coverage, there are trees and buildings. While coming from the North and the East is just straight ground. There's no way they would come from there unless-"

Hunter trailed off while a younger solder Layton spoke up, "Unless they were making a diversion."

I rolled my eyes as the kid sitting before me. "This isn't a video game you play online," I said to him, only slightly guilty when he flinched. He had just been shipped out here a few months ago and although he knew everything we were saying he had a problem with speaking before his mind could catch up. "They wouldn't be creating a diversion. If they come from the North and the East, they have an advantage. It would mean they outnumbered us. They wouldn't need the cover, they would just have sheer force on their side. And with our numbers dwindling we wouldn't stand a chance."

And I was right. We were planning on moving out soon. I only had a couple months until I was brought home for leave and I wanted to spend those last few months safely as I could. And we weren't safe here. Not at the slightest.

The sun was bright, the tensions high, and no one talked. We knew it was coming. So when we heard the first signs of gunshots and a bomb go off somewhere close to our building, we didn't waste time. We quickly grabbed our guns and as much amo as we could hold. I positioned myself by the window. I kept my eyes firmly on the road in front of the building, the only thing I could see out of this window. We were all positioned in a different place throughout the room because right now it was the best we had.

There was another explosion, this one farther away. It gave me a bit of relief, but not much when I heard the shots getting closer. The finger I had pressed against the trigger twitched. The muscles throughout my entire body were tight, waiting for the first sight of an enemy soldier. And it wasn't long.

They had come recklessly barrelling around the corner as if on a suicide mission. And maybe they were, I didn't know. Immediately bullet after bullet came shooting out of my gun, aiming at one after the other. There were maybe fifteen together, all of them down before they even passed the first building on the road.