Thirty-Two | Step by Step

Start from the beginning

"This is Fulcrum. Sorry for the delay."

Organa chuckled amiably. "It's no trouble. What do you have for me?"

"Word came from Kesh Turaak last night," she murmured. "The team in his village successfully smuggled several tons of iron ore to an independent refinery a few hundred klicks south. It's possible the Empire or one of the Onderonian Great Houses have agents among the workers there, but the miners will only have dealings with the higher ups, and I cleared all of them personally before I left."

"And they don't know where the ore is coming from?"

Ahsoka smiled to herself. "I went to them posing as a businesswoman from the bourgeois class – lots of money, but not as well connected as the Great Houses. I dropped all the right hints that I had access to a mine, but was trying to circumvent the Empire's watchful eye on state-owned refineries so I could get my merchandise offworld quietly once the blockade eases up. They didn't ask any questions, thanks to your down payment."

"It was the least I could do, considering I can't get a supply chain through."

"Regardless, it was very generous. I'll make sure a portion of the refined ore makes its way to..." She hesitated. The hallway was walking down was empty, but she didn't dare reach into the Force to check for listening devices; she couldn't be sure it was safe enough to reference the Rebellion openly. "Your comrades. The ore won't stop a cannon blast, but its blue sheen makes it highly sought after – even more so now, with the blockade to create scarcity. It would prove to potential allies that you have resources, and the skill to sneak through Imperial fortifications."

"The miners–"

"If the need arises to tell them, I know they'll understand. The Onderonians are a proud people, and they like to feel self-reliant, but they've been exploited for years. Knowing they have allies offworld will boost their morale."

"You're doing good work there, Fulcrum. I trust your judgment."

Ahsoka walked on with her head held a little higher. "Thank you, Origin."

"What about your efforts in the city? How are they going?"

"Pretty slowly. I'm trying to get in touch with a group from Tatooine. According to one of my contacts, their influence among the Kyzeron labor class is growing. I'm hoping they'll join my network, or at least partner with me. My contact is trying to get their comm code so I can arrange a meeting, but so far, no luck."

The delay chafed at her, but Ahsoka knew she had to be patient. She'd only been able to organize that meeting with the miners because she'd spent the three preceding weeks inadvertently showing them her value as an ally. If the Amavikkas wanted a similar token, she'd have to find a way to give it to them.

"Regardless, I really must congratulate you on what you've accomplished on Onderon, Fulcrum. Alone, with almost no resources, you've rallied a dozen villages to your cause while we've been probing the Empire's defenses in the Japrael sector for months with no results to speak for it. Now you're about to tackle a city under martial law, and even the considerable challenges that presents haven't fazed you."

"It's what I need to do."

"Perhaps, but it's also not the easy road. You chose to walk it anyway."

Ahsoka pushed aside the urge to squirm under the praise. Senator Organa wasn't a Jedi. He didn't know how she'd come close to taking the easy road already, nor did he know how steep the toll could be to travel it. "Yes."

"I'll be frank with you, Fulcrum. Getting an update on your progress wasn't my only goal when I called you."

"Oh?" Ahsoka said, raising a brow.