☾hapter FIFTEEN

As one, the whole team ventured outside

As one, the whole team ventured outside. Everyone reached for their flashlights. Regardless of the fact that the sun is still out, the trees are too heavily packed together for proper lighting to filter through.

Zara clicks hers on, the light shining at the ground below her. Positioning herself beside Nate, Zara trailed the stick left and right as the team scoured for any evidence they might have missed.

The spring air was getting colder as the sun made its slow descent in the vibrant purple hazed sky. Grabbing hold of her red jacket, she zipped it close when a bitter wind wound its way in between the lapels.

Glancing around, a small curl of irritation furled inside of her when she saw that none of the males were suffering as she was. If there was once thing she was jealous of, it was the intense body heat an Alpha generated.

The leaves crunched underneath her boots, twigs snapping in half, their broken bodies left on the cold, hard ground. But even their bodies served a purpose, for it was now the time when birds would be searching high and low for them. It would serve the birds well whenever they created a nest in which will house their children.

The light from Zara's flashlight moved up on the cherry oak tree, the sturdy bark a contrast to the cabin stationed not too far from it.

With a lazy wave, she scanned the hard body and its arms.

"Crones," Oliver's rough voice broke the silence that had befallen on the team. "We're moving further in. You coming?"

Downwards, she moved the light. Warming the hefty body of the tree.

"Yeah, I'm comin—"

A sudden glare shone back at her, catching her eye at the last second before she turn to head off towards the guys.

Moving with a sureness in her step, Zara ventured closer to the flare. Her ear caught the sudden stop of shuffling feet from the other team members. Warmth bathed her ears when Nate's voice trailed out to her.

"Zara? What's wrong?"

But she ignored it, and instead continued on forward, not willing to lose sight of this find. For it could be the break they needed after not being able to find anything in the last six — no, now seven — cases.

Closer she creeped, and as she stood at the foot of the bark of the cherry oak, her breath stuttered to a halt.

Nate's minty breath tickled her nose. His strong hand clamped down on her shoulder, the thumb skimming the edges of the collar of her jacket.

He tried to move her body around so that he can step forward to see what had gotten hold of her attention, but for the first time in so many years, she can't move. Her limbs are frozen in place, and the air around her gets getting thicker.

Zara can feel when the others join them at the tree. Could feel as their eyes move from her face, to the object currently creating the unsteady staccato of her heartbeat while an array of colors bask the late evening sky.