"You let me sleep on you this whole time?" Rory said incredulously. "You must really like me."

              "Don't let it get to your head," Paris shot back. "You drool when you sleep."

              Rory turned a shade of red that shouldn't have been attractive, and yet—Paris wanted to jump her right there and then.

              But Alec, waiting at the entrance, gave her a look that was both delighted and a warning. And Paris let out a breath—it was time to see the country where Rory had grown up.

✺✺✺

             VALERIA.

             Glory. Prosperity. Liberation.

             The foundations upon which the four-century old country stood. And it was a beautiful sight. With rich, flowing green grass and snowcapped mountains in the distance and a pink glittering lake in front of the palace.

             "Is that lake really pink?" Paris asked.

              A gleam of childish excitement sparked in Rory's eyes. "Yes," she said. "And isn't it so cool? I used to go skinny-dipping in there—"

             Simon coughed.

             Rory's attention flitted back to the host of palace guards who were escorting them to the throne room.

             Someone muttered, "The princess hasn't changed."

             And Paris didn't think had heard, but she had.

             "Say it to the princess's face," she said calmly.

             The man with the stiff red uniform turned around.

             "Pardon me, Madame?"

             "It's Doctor, actually," Paris said cheerfully. "And if you're going say something like that, say it to the princess's face."

              Her nerves were tingling with lightning now.

              This probably wasn't a good idea.

              But Paris knew that if Rory had heard something about her, Rory would have defended her. And even though this might not have been the time or the place, Paris was pissed. 

              "Paris?" Rory said.

              The guard didn't move, didn't blink.

              Coward, she thought.

              "Next time you think of saying things like that about a person," Paris stated calmly, "then I suggest you make sure you have the guts to say them to said person's face."

              The guard turned around.

              And Paris hummed with satisfaction that would definitely get her in trouble later.

✺✺✺

              A FEW MINUTES LATER, THEY WERE OUTSIDE of the throne room.

             Paris took in a breath. Rory squeezed her hand.

             "Let's do this," Rory said fiercely.

             Paris didn't think she had ever loved her more.

             The grand doors to the throne room were pushed open, revealing shiny marble floors and enormous white columns. Resting on a dais, there was a golden, claw-foot throne with velvet red seating and a man atop it.