"Guys, we can hear you!" Alec said from the other end of the plane. "And we're trying to make out here."

                "Sorry for disturbing you!" Paris called back.

                "You should be!" he said.

                 Paris was still laughing as she settled back into her seat, and Rory pointed. "Look," Rory said in a soft, wondrous voice. "The sky."

                 The sky—such a beautiful, simple pleasure.

                 It was painted in every shade of blue and violet, with silvery grey clouds and star-flecked wind. Beneath the plane, Paris could see the horizon of Vancouver fade away. 

                 Europe. They were going to Europe. 

                 And although Paris was nervous, afraid, she wanted to laugh at the sheer amazement of it. The freedom to go wherever they wanted.

                Valeria.

                It hit her, then—that Rory would be queen one day.

                Rory would be queen and . . .

                An entire country—Rory would have an entire country to rule.

                Where did that leave Paris?

                Maybe it would be for the best, this heartbreak. Maybe it was only inevitable. Because there would come a time when Rory had to choose, wouldn't she? And a queen could never choose a girl over her kingdom.

               It would happen anyway, Paris told herself.

               But she couldn't really believe it.

✺✺✺

               THE FLIGHT WAS LONG, AND RORY EVENTUALLY FELL ASLEEP on Paris's shoulder, her head buried against Paris's neck.

               For the entire eight hour flight, Paris refused to move even an inch.

               When they finally touched ground on the private runway outside of the palace, Paris's heart began to pound.

              She would finally meet the king in person.

              She would finally see the place Rory would one day rule.

              It didn't feel real—none of it felt real except for the girl sleeping on her shoulder. And with the king's voice whispering in her ear, Break her heart, Paris didn't want her to be real, either.

              She didn't want to break Rory's heart.

             Finally, Simon stood and moved towards where Paris and Rory were sitting.

             "Do you want to wake her up, or should I?" 

              Paris had just spent the entire eight hours of the flight making sure Rory didn't wake up. So Simon was the one to shake Rory's shoulder roughly.

              Rory's head snapped up. "What? Where—?"

              "Valeria," said Simon, and there was a trace of longing. He had missed it here, Paris could tell.

               "Oh," Rory said, slouching back as Simon handed her the crutches.

               "I think I'm cramped," Paris said.