"Pack a bag when you two are done! We're flying to America tonight."

Then what the hell was my point of coming home?

Idiot.

Making the hike back to my room, I dropped off my laptop and headed to the living room in the east wing of our house, her favorite living room.

Walking through the arch-shaped door frame, I scanned the room. My eyes eventually landed on my my mother as she brought the glass of expensive champagne to her lips.

I felt my features soften as she gazed outside the large window. Her posture was perfect, even while sitting causally, her shoulder-length, platinum blond hair was pin straight, much shorter than what it was two weeks ago, and the setting sun made her pale skin glow.

Nataliya Kamaneva was gorgeous, and I refuse to believe anyone could say otherwise.

Clearing my throat, her emerald eyes snapped to where I was standing and she placed the glass down, tapping the sofa cushion next to her.

Leaning off the wall, I walked over and sat down, keeping my eyes at my feet until she gently grabbed my face and brought it up. My mother gave me a soft smile and titled my head, placing light kisses on both my cheeks.

"How are you дорогой?" (darling)

Cupping her hands with my own I returned the smile, "I'm good Ma, how've you been?"

It hasn't been like this in a while, my mother taking the time to have a conversation with me.. I forgot how much I enjoyed our genuine talks.

After age seven, she stared working more and more and I started to see her less. By this point, the only conversations we had were forced or instructed by Alexei.

"Well, as always." She mused before the rare light in her eyes dimmed. Turning my head again, she inspected my cheek which I'm pretty sure had a red hand print.

"Have you and Alexei been arguing?" She asked, running her thumb along my cheekbone.

Rolling my eyes, I gave her a slight nod.

I watched as she sighed, emotion flashing through her guarded eyes.

Was that regret?

I don't know, maybe I'm just seeing things.

"What have I told you about talking back Leonid, you can't anger your father.. god that mouth of yours." The smallest smile graced her lips but it soon fell, her typically clear voice lowering into a mumble I could barely hear, "Who knows what he'll do if you get him too angry."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Ma, what are you talking about?"

As if she had just noticed her-what I could assume to be- slip up, Mom retracted her hands from my face and stood up, smoothing the imaginary wrinkles in her silk blouse.

Clearing her throat, she looked back at me. "I have to go, I'm accompanying your aunt and Natasha to a photoshoot."

"Wait mom-"