Chapter 34

I wake up in the middle of the night.

Not from a bad dream, but because Killian is tossing and turning.

Usually when I wake up, I'm locked in his arms, but he's a foot away from me. I see beads of sweat dripping down his face, which is contorted in pain.

He's having one of his nightmares.

I freeze, unsure of what do to. Do I wake him up? Would it be worse if I did that? I have no idea what to do in this situation. Have never been in a situation like this.

He groans, his skin pale. "No, please."

Shit, shit, shit.

For some reason, I'm panicked. I don't like seeing him like this. I don't know how to help.

And my Sight doesn't tell me what to do.

So I stay frozen solid.

"Katrina," he moans, like he's in agony.

For a moment, I think he's awake, but his eyes are squeezed shut, and he's breathing heavily, distress etched on his visage.

"Killian," I whisper, and shake him slightly.

Immediately, his eyes fly open, and I'm pinned underneath him, his hand around my neck.

"Killian, it's me," I choke out, his hand squeezing my throat tightly. "You had a bad dream."

"Katrina," he breathes, and releases my neck, and I gasp for air.

"Fuck, Katrina, I'm so sorry," he whispers. "I-I thought..."

"It's fine," I reassure him, resisting the need to cough up blood.

"It's not fine." His eyes shine in horror. "You... I..."

"Killian-"

"Get out."

"What?"

"You can't sleep in here anymore. Leave," he orders, but his voice cracks on the last word.

"I'm not leaving."

"Katrina, for once, do as your told," Killian begs. "It's not safe for you to sleep with me anymore."

"I don't care. I'm not leaving," I insist.

"Do you understand that I almost killed you?" He asks angrily.

"No," I argue. "You didn't. A little light choking never killed anyone. I thought you liked it rough."

Killian freezes. "Are you seriously trying to make a sex joke now of all times?"

"Maybe. Is it working?"

"Katrina, please leave before I hurt you more." His pleads grow in desperation.

"No," I tell him, and cup his warm face with my hand. "You're there for me when I have mine. I'm not leaving when you have yours."

He's quiet for a moment. "I could hurt you, Katrina."

"I don't care."

"I do," he snarls. "Get out before I throw you out."

"You wouldn't."

"You have no idea how far I'd go to keep you safe."

"I'm safest when I'm with you."

I don't realize how true those words are until I say them out loud.

Killian, Alpha of Crimson Shadow, the Ultimum Viatorem, indisputably one of the strongest people on the planet, who could quite literally kill me without much effort on his part.