"Rory," he said. "She was cheating. I told you that."

                "What about Billie Larson?" Rory said. "Was she cheating, too?"

                 Declan laughed easily. "Come on, Rory. Why are you bringing this up now? You know I—"

                 Rory didn't feel the sting of the blood on her palms. Or the slice of glass in her palms. Was she shaking? She might have been shaking.

                 "Answer the question, Declan," she whispered.

                 "No, Rory, for the love of God, I didn't rape Billie or London or any of the others. I can't believe I even have to tell you that. Jesus."

                 She didn't believe him.

                 Why didn't she believe him?

                 "And about your breakup," Declan continued. "It was about time. You know how much you were missing, being in a committed relationship?"

                 "You've been in a committed relationship."

                 Declan's grin was charming, crooked. Drunk. "I'm a bachelor, Rory. You understand what that means? I don't have girlfriends. I have girls I fuck, and girls I fuck on a regular basis."

                 "London," Rory breathed.

                 It was like he hadn't even heard.

                 "I should probably teach that bitch a lesson, you know," Declan said. "Make her pay. No one hurts my little sister."

                 "Don't touch Paris," Rory snapped.

                 Declan's smile was swimming around the edges.

                 "Alright, fine," he said. "I won't. Don't worry, Rory."

                 She had believed him.

                 Why had she believed him?

✫✫✫

                 TWO WEEKS AFTER THEY WENT CLIFF DIVING OFF LA QUEBRADAS, Declan went skydiving alone in Mount Everest, Nepal.

                 He didn't have a parachute.

                 They told Rory it was fast. Painless.

                 The fall produced adrenaline. He didn't feel a thing.

                 It was over the moment he hit the snow.

✫✫✫

                 "THREE WEEKS AFTER WE BROKE UP, DECLAN visited me while I was moving into my dorm at med school."

                  Rory was shivering from the cold—from the story.

                  The basement was almost black now. Shadow gilded every line of Paris's face, drawing hollows beneath her eyes, below her cheekbones.

                 "I was bringing my luggage, my suitcases, carrying some boxes."

                  The sound of Paris's voice in the dark was like a fire. Compelling her. Burning her. 

                  "He offered to help. He said, Need me to carry that for you?  I said no. I told him to fuck himself sideways, upside down, and halfway to hell."