Chapter Twenty-Seven: Enhanced

The two of us hurried over to the large, snow-dusted clearing where Thor was stood. "The Enhanced?" I enquired, slowing to a stop next to the god.

"He's a blur"

"All the new players we've faced, I've neve seen this," Steve huffed, "In fact, I still haven't"

I frowned as Nat's panic-laced voice came through on the comms, "Clint's hit pretty bad, guys. We're gonna need evac"

Thor nodded quickly, "I can get Barton to the jet. The sooner we're gone, the better. You two and Stark can secure the sceptre"

"Copy that"

I narrowed my eyes as more targets approached us, "Looks like they're lining up"

Steve shrugged, "Well, they're excited"

Thor motioned for me to duck and cover my ears. I did so, watching as he brought his hammer down against Steve's shield. A wave of energy rippled outwards, knocking all of the attackers to the ground. He then turned to us, "Find the sceptre"

"And for gosh sake, watch your language!" Stark chimed in.

"That's not going away any time soon, is it?" Steve asked quietly, groaning when I silently shook my head.

"We're locked down out here" Nat called.

"Then get to Banner. Time for a lullaby" Steve replied, silently motioning for me to head down one of the tunnels as we entered the base.

I gave him a quick nod before disappearing into the fortress, cautiously navigating my way through its endless twists and turns. There was a thud from the comms and I heard Steve's voice, "We have a second Enhanced. Female. Do not engage... Guys, I got Strucker"

I let out a sigh of relief, frowning when Stark spoke, "Yeah, I got something bigger... Thor, I got my eyes on the prize"

——————

My gaze was fixed on Barton, who was lying on a stretcher in the middle of the quinjet. I felt someone sit next to me, handing me an ice pack. I frowned, "What-"

"For your neck," Steve murmured softly, "You looked like you were in pain back there"

I whispered a word of thanks and placed it on the back of my neck, wincing at the coldness.

There was a moment's pause before he spoke again, "You sure you're okay? I thought your neck was getting better"

"It'll be a slow recovery, even with all the physical therapy. Believe it or not, bombs and car crashes actually hurt, not to mention the stress of repeatedly getting shot at"

My gaze scanned the aircraft before landing on Nat, who raised her eyebrows suggestively when she saw the two of us sat together. The quinjet suddenly shuddered and I held my breath, my eyes squeezing tightly shut as I gripped the edges of my seat. My lungs began to ache and I felt my heartrate increase considerably.

A hand reached out to hold mine and I jumped slightly. "Hey, what's wrong? You don't look so hot" his brow furrowed as he stared at me, unsure of how to comfort me.

I quickly moved my hand away, "I'm fine. I just hate flying"

Nat made her way over to Banner, who was hunched up in his seat as he recovered from the mission. "Thor, report on the Hulk?" she called, looking for some encouragement for the god.

"The gates of Hel are filled with the screams of his victims," there was a tense pause, "But not the screams of the dead, of course. No. No, wounded screams. Mainly whimpering, a great deal of complaining and tales of sprained deltoids and gout"

I cringed a little at the response, giving the doctor a reassuring grimace. "Hey, Banner," Stark called from the cockpit, "Dr Cho is on her way in from Seoul. Is it okay if she sets up in your lab?"

"Uh, yeah. She knows her way around"

"Thanks. Tell her to prep everything, Barton's gonna need the full treatment"

There was a pause, "Very good, sir "

"Jarvis, take the wheel"

"Yes, sir. Approach vector is locked"

Stark made his way over to the large case, opening it to reveal the sceptre. "Feels good, yeah?" he chuckled, "I mean, you've been after this thing since SHIELD collapsed. Not that I haven't enjoyed our little raiding parties, but..."

Thor nodded in understanding, "No, but this... this brings it to a close"

"As soon as we find out what else this has been used for," Steve huffed as he glared at it, "I don't just mean weapons. Since when is Strucker capable of human enhancement?"

"Banner and I will give it the once over before it goes back to Asgard. Is that cool with you?" Stark checked with Thor, "Just a few days till the farewell party. You're staying, right?"

The god of thunder nodded slowly, "Yes. Yes, of course. A victory should be honoured with revels"

"Yeah, who doesn't love revels? Captain?"

Steve didn't look away from the sceptre for a second, eyeing it with suspicion as he spoke, "Hopefully this puts and end to the Chitauri and HYDRA. So, yes, revels"

Stark grinned and turned to me expectantly, "Agent Sunshine?"

"Revels it is"