Chapter Two: Meeting The Team

I walked down the ramp of the quinjet and onto the asphalt of the helicarrier, glancing around at the people hurrying past me. My gaze fell on a redhead who was stood nearby, smirking at me as I exited the aircraft. "Hello, Nat" I sighed, moving to walk alongside her.

"Hey, AK. How was Paris?"

"One: I told you not to call me that. Two: it was boring. Three: who told you? That was a classified mission"

She shrugged, her ginger curls bouncing in the salty breeze, "High clearance level. Now hurry up, we're supposed to be meeting Coulson"

We arrived in front of another quinjet just as she said that, watching as Coulson exited with a tall, blond man. I glanced at him, quickly looking away when he made eye contact. "Agent Romanoff, Agent Mitchells... Captain Rogers" Coulson introduced us, a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips.

The Captain smiled awkwardly at us, "Ma'ams"

"Hi" Nat said as I sent him a simple nod. She quickly turned back to Coulson as she delivered her message, "They need you on the bridge, they're starting the face-trace"

"See you there" he sighed, briskly walking off and leaving us alone.

The three of us began to head along the pathway as she began to speak to the Captain again, "It was quite the buzz around here, finding you in the ice. I thought Coulson was gonna swoon"

I rolled my eyes, "Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?"

A confused smile appeared on his face as he stared at me, "Trading cards?"

"They're vintage, he's very proud"

We continued on, noticing a timid-looking man who was nervously wringing his hands and staring around uneasily. "Dr Banner?" Rogers called.

"Yeah, h-hi," the man stammered as they shook hands, "They told me you would be coming"

"Word is, you can find the Cube"

Banner glanced around as his eyes narrowed slightly in suspicion, "Is that the only word on me?"

Rogers shrugged dismissively, "Only word I care about"

There was an awkward pause and I began to scroll through the files on my phone, searching for anything to distract me from the frequent gaze of the blond. "It must be strange for you, all of this" Banner finally spoke.

The Captain looked around, a twinkle of nostalgia in his eyes when he saw a few agents jogging past in their training gear. "Well, this is actually kind of familiar" he chuckled.

"Gentlemen," Nat called as she checked her watch, "You might want to step inside in a minute, it's gonna get a little hard to breathe"

She barely had a chance to issue the warning before metallic whirrs and clunks began to echo around us, several shouts ringing out as people hurried to their stations. Rogers frowned as the ground beneath us shuddered, "Is this a submarine?"

"Really," Banner scoffed, "They want me in a submerged, pressurised, metal container?" The two men made their way to the edge, unaware of the amused look that I sent Nat. The sea began to churn around us, large propellers emerging from beneath the surface as we began to rise into the air. He let out another humourless chuckle, "No. No, this is much worse"