Chapter Forty-One: Project Daybreak

WELCOME TO PROJECT DAYBREAK_

A video popped up and I gasped, staring at the young man on the screen.

"Hello," he said as he took a seat at his desk, "My name is Mitchell Harlow and I am one of the leading agents working on Project Daybreak. This project has taken years to finalise and I had the honour of creating the chip that contains all the information required"

Steve took a seat next to me, holding my hand in his as I stared at the recording of my older brother. "All of our data is sourced from anonymous leaks within an authoritarian, paramilitary-subversive organisation called HYDRA. Contrary to public belief, this organisation is still alive and has been growing like a parasite within SHIELD itself" he explained in a serious tone. I could barely recognise him without his cheeky grin and the mischievous glint in his eyes.

"I have enclosed all of the data regarding this topic within a computer chip and have hidden it away in a secure location. Countless lives have been lost for this project to be possible, but I am honoured to have dedicated my efforts for this"

The screen went black for a second before another video appeared, "Katherine, this message is for you. I am so sorry that you have gone through this, but I'm glad that you're safe. I knew that I could trust you with the safety of this chip and I knew that you could figure it out. Knowing that you would grow up without me has been... difficult to cope with, but it's for the good of you and everyone else in the world. I trust that you'll know what to do with this. There is a file on this computer with a list of every known double agent in SHIELD, you have to get this to Nick Fury. I have also enclosed the information I could find on the Winter Soldier Project. Please be careful and stay safe, I love you"

I did my best to ignore the way my eyes stung, exiting the recording and clicking on the file icon in the corner of the screen.

(A/n: WARNING, MAJOR SPOILERS FOR AGENTS OF SHIELD AND OTHER MARVEL THINGS)

We read through the first list of names, knowing that there were a lot more to get rid of.

Barnes, James (see Winter Soldier Project)

Brokeridge, Roger

Collins, Lynn

Drew, Jessica

Fray, Katrina

Garret, John

Pierce, Alexander

Rollins, Jack

Rumlow, Brock

Sitwell, Jasper

Slade, James

Stern, Garry

Ward, Grant

The two of us made eye contact and I groaned in frustration, "This is gonna take a while to sort out"

A/n:
And that is the end of the first book. Thank you so much for reading this far! Please let me know what you thought, the feedback would be very useful. If you liked this, you can check out the second book: First Light. Again, thank you so much for reading. Love you!