Chapter Seven: Hit

The three of us raced down the dimly lit corridor, trying to ignore the occasional tremors of the ground beneath us. I reached for my earpiece, "Hill, what's going on?"

"External detonation, number three engine is down. Talk to me"

Another agent's voice could be heard, "Turbine looks mostly intact, but it's impossible to get out there to make repairs while we're in the air"

She huffed loudly, "If we lose one more engine, we won't be. Somebody's gotta get outside and patch that engine"

"Stark, you copy that?" I asked, receiving a nod from him.

"I'm on it"

We paused near another storage room and Stark motioned for us to head a different way, "Engine three, I'll meet you there"

As Rogers and I ran, I felt my head begin to swim a little. "You okay?" I heard him ask as I staggered slightly.

"Yeah, fine"

He paused and brought a hand to my head, a few spots of blood lingering on his fingers. "You hit your head, maybe you should sit this one out" he suggested anxiously as I stumbled to the side.

"I said I'm fine, Rogers. There are bigger things at hand"

We made our way through a door, pausing when we found ourselves on the edge of a very large drop. The floor had been completely broken off, the only things visible below were clouds. "Stark," I called through my earpiece, "Stark, we're here"

His red and gold suit soared towards the damaged metal. "Let's see what we've got," he murmured as he assessed the damage, "I need you to get to that engine control panel and tell me which relays are in overload position"

Rogers offered me his hand, helping me to cross the large gap and climb to the control panel. I frowned, noticing a tingling feeling where our hands touched. Quickly dismissing it, I pulled the control panel out a little further. "What does it look like in there?" Stark asked us.

"It seems to run on some form of electricity"

"Yeah, no shit," I scoffed as I nudged him aside, "Look, the relays are still intact. What can we do?" Rogers sent me a confused look and I rolled my eyes, "My brother was great with technology, taught me a few things"

Stark cleared his throat, "Even if I clear the rotors, this thing won't re-engage without a jump. I'm going to have to get in there and push"

"Are you insane? You'll be shredded!"

"That stator control unit can reverse the polarity long enough to disengage maglev and that could-"

"Speak English"

There was a pause, "You see that red lever?" we turned to look at the one in question, "It will slow the rotors down long enough for me to get out. Stand by it, wait for my word"

The two of us jumped over the gap, barely able to rest before a few men in SHIELD gear approached us. The nearest one aimed his gun at us, but I was able to knock it out of his hands and knock him out against the wall. Another tried to attack Rogers, ending up with being thrown over the edge.

The rapid sound of gunfire caught our attention, ceasing when I managed to shoot the hostile in the chest. "You'll need this" I called, throwing Rogers a gun from the unconscious guy at my feet.

Shot after shot was fired, the casings quietly rattling as they fell to the ground. I heard a yelp, only getting a second to grab Rogers' wrist before he could fall. "Hold on!" I yelled over the roaring wind, aiming a few more shots at the hostile until he went down.

"Guys, hit the lever" Stark called.

"We need a minute here" Rogers shouted back as I desperately tried to pull him back up.

"Lever, now!"

I finally managed to drag him back onto the platform, both of us ducking as more bullets ricocheted off the wall above our heads. There was a click from my gun as I tried to fire it, "Dammit, I'm out of ammo!" I cursed. Rogers didn't seem to mind, racing over to the lever and pulling it down as the shots continued. There was a sudden crash as Stark flew through one of the walls and tackled the gunman.

There was a collective sigh of relief from the three of us and I rested my head on Rogers' shoulder, my eyes drooping until darkness surrounded me.