Chapter Eleven: The Aftermath

My eyes fluttered open, squinting as they tried to get accustomed to the bright lights above me. The smell of disinfectant was almost overpowering, making me feel a little nauseous. I tried to ignore the beeping sound from next to me, but the incessant noise was too much to deal with.

"Welcome back to the land of the living"

I sat up slowly, glaring at Stark in annoyance. "Shut up" I growled, moving a hand to feel the bandage on my shoulder.

I looked around the room, taking in the appearances of my team. Finally, my gaze fell on the man who I had saved by taking the blast from the spear. "You okay? We were really worried about you" he asked quietly.

"We? I'm fairly sure you and Romanoff were the only ones, what with your massive cr-" Stark scoffed, wheezing slightly when Nat elbowed him in the stomach.

She turned to me, smiling sweetly. "Ignore Tony, we were all concerned. But, hey, you should see all of the support we've received from the public"

Barton nodded and handed me a large carboard box filled with cards and candies. I pulled out a piece of paper with a child's drawing on it, showing two kids standing next to (what I assumed was) me. Somehow, I recognised the children as the two that I had approached during the battle.

I smiled slightly, tracing the drawing with my fingers. It took me over an hour to go through all of the cards and gifts, each one making me grin widely. I had requested to be alone as I did this, preferring to be on my own in case I got too emotional.

The injury I received from that Chitauri spear had damaged a lot of tissue, but the Doctors told me I would heal quickly. Unfortunately, I would be scarred for life, but it wasn't like that was the first time I'd been told that. I was a spy, my life was full of danger and it was practically impossible to emerge from that without a few scars.

My hand moved up to my neck, tracing the necklace that I had insisted upon wearing both in battle and in the hospital. The pendant was simple, a golden sun with an amber jewel in the centre. My brother had given it to me when I was young, choosing it out of any other pendant because of my childhood nickname from our mother: Dawn. I still used that name from time to time, even choosing it as my 'superhero alias'.

I had always made a point to carry my past with me, even if I couldn't talk to others about it. After all, my family shaped the person that I had become, even if they hadn't been around to see it.

A/n:
So, those were all the chapters for the first Avengers. I hope you enjoyed it, please let me know what you think and leave a vote or comment. Love you!