Chapter Twenty-Four: Pierce

Once I had gotten rid of my disguise as well, I began to furiously type at the computer in the corner. Nat stood guard over Pierce, her gun pointed right at him. "What are you doing?" one of the council members asked.

"She's disabling security protocols and dumping all of the secrets onto the Internet" Pierce explained bitterly.

Nat nodded, "Including HYDRA's"

"And SHIELD's. If you do this, none of your pasts are gonna remain hidden," I froze when he said that but quickly  resumed typing, "Are you sure you're ready for the world to see you as you really are?"

"Are you?"

"Disabling the encryption is an executive order, it takes two Alpha Level members" Pierce reminded us, glancing around warily.

I smirked, "Don't worry, company's coming"

Everyone span around, staring at the helicopter that was landing outside. It was rather satisfying to see the fear fill Pierce's eyes when he saw Fury stride into the office. "Did you get my flowers?" he asked after a moment's pause, trying to appear calm. "I'm glad you're here, Nick" he continued as his old friend glared at him.

"Really? Because I thought you had me killed" Fury countered.

"You know how the game works"

The man's eye narrowed, "So why make me head of SHIELD?"

Pierce shrugged dismissively, "Because you were the best, and the most ruthless person I ever met"

"I did what I did to protect people"

"Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow or an EMP fries Chicago. Diplomacy? A holding action, Nick. A band-aid. And you know where I learned that... Bogota," I noticed Fury straighten up a little at the mention of the place, "You didn't ask, you just did what had to be done. I can bring order to the lives of seven billion people by sacrificing twenty million. It's the next step, Nick. If you have the courage to take it"

Fury slowly shook his head, "No. I have the courage not to"

Nat pointed her gun at Pierce as Fury led him to the retinal scanner, ready to give clearance for the deactivation of the protocols. There was a pause and the man chuckled, "You don't think we've wiped your clearance from the system?"

"I know you erased my password. Probably deleted my retinal scan. But if you want to stay ahead of me, Mr Secretary..." Fury removed his eyepatch to reveal a large scar going right through his eye, "You need to keep both eyes open"

"Alpha Level confirmed. Encryption code accepted. Safeguards removed " the computer said, causing a smug grin to tug at my lips.

"Done" Nat called, watching as articles began to appear on the larger screen, " And it's trending"

There was a flash of electricity and three council members fell to the ground, letting out cries of pain. She span around to shoot Pierce but froze when his thumb hovered over a button on his remote. "Unless you want a two-inch hole in your sternum, I'd put that gun down," he warned as the three of us aimed at him, "That was armed the moment you pinned it on"

We exchanged nervous glances before reluctantly lowering our firearms.

"Lieutenant, how much longer?" Pierce called into his radio as he showed us a map, each target marked to create a sea of red.

"Sixty-five seconds to satellite link," a voice spoke, "Targeting grid engaged. Lowering weapons array now"

Nat and I glanced worriedly at each other as I desperately tried to calm my heartrate. All I could think of were those people, all those people who were going to die. I couldn't do anything, I was trapped while we waited for Steve to change the chips.

"We've reached 3,000 feet," the voice said, "Sat link coming online now. Algorithm deployed"

Pierce smirked at us before reaching for the radio again, "We are go to target"

"Target saturation reached. All targets assigned. Firing in three... two... one..."

Nothing happened.

We stared out of the window, seeing that the helicarriers had moved to aim at each other. They began to fire and I let out a sigh of relief.

"What a waste" Pierce growled.

"So, you still on the fence about Rogers' chances?" I sneered, watching anxiously as his gaze hardened into a malevolent glare.

He strode over to Nat, "Time to go, Councilwoman. This way, come on. You're going to fly me out of here"

I glanced over at Fury as he began to speak, "You know, there was a time I would've taken a bullet for you"

"You already did. You will again when it's useful-"

Nat suddenly gripped onto something in her hand, shuddering from the electricity that had begun to surge through her before collapsing on the ground. I raced over to her, hearing the shattering of glass as Fury shot Pierce, sending him toppling through the large screen.

"Natasha?" I asked, gently shaking her. "Nat, come on. I'm not gonna lose you too"

Fury knelt down next to me, both of us staring at her in fear.

After a moment, her eyes fluttered open, "Ow. Those really do sting"

The three of us had managed to get into the helicopter and fly away just before one of the helicarriers crashed into the building. I stared at the destruction in shock, silently praying that Steve had gotten away safely.

"Please tell me you got that chopper in the air!" I heard Wilson shout over the radio, his voice slightly muffled by a loud crash.

"Sam, where are you?" Nat called.

"Forty-first floor, northwest corner!"

I sighed in relief, "We're on it, stay where you are"

"Not an option!"

Someone leapt through a window a little way up and Fury tilted the chopper to the side to catch him. As Wilson fell in, his feet slammed against the door, sending it plummeting towards the river. Nat and I managed to grab onto him as the aircraft levelled again.

"Forty-first floor! Forty-first!" he yelled, still out of breath.

"It's not like they put the floor numbers on the outside of the building"

I stared at the wreckage of the helicarrier in fear before reaching for my radio, "Hill! Where's Steve? Have you got a location on Rogers?"

"No. I'm sorry, Rory"