Chapter Four: Mischief

I followed Nat into the quinjet, preparing for the trip to Germany. Loki had shown up at a gala in Stuttgart, not even trying to hide himself.

"You okay?" Nat asked, watching me carefully.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I answered quickly as I drummed my fingers against my knee, "I just really hate these things"

"Six years in this business and you still hate heights?"

I rolled my eyes, "Not heights, just these things. They're flying, metal death traps and I loathe whoever created them"

She let out a small chuckle and began to flick various switches in preparation for take-off. "Seems about right" she replied. I noticed her glance behind us at Rogers before whispering to me, "So, Captain's pretty cute, isn't he?"

"Shut up and fly this damn thing, I wanna get this over with as soon as possible"

We came to a halt above a small market square, where Loki had cornered a large crowd of civilians. Rogers got out to confront him and when that didn't work, Nat deployed the jet's machine gun. "Loki, drop the weapon and stand down" she called through the jet's speakers.

The man sent a blast of electric blue energy in our direction, which we narrowly avoided. I clutched onto the side, watching as Rogers and Loki fought each other amidst the frantic crowd.

Nat moved the jet slightly, trying to get a lock on the hostile. "Guy's all over the place" I heard her mutter as she watched them fight.

"Want me to go down there and help out?" I offered, my hand rushing to grab one of the knives in my belt.

"No, stay up here. I think Cap needs to get back into things"

Our conversation was interrupted by the faint sound of an AC/DC song playing. "Agent Romanoff," a familiar voice spoke over the intercom, "You miss me?"

The scarlet and gold suit soared through the night sky, blasting Loki off of his feet. Iron Man aimed a weaponised glove and several small missiles on the god, "Make your move, Reindeer Games"

A bright aura surrounded Loki and his horned helmet faded from view, leaving him defenceless on the ground. The man disarmed his suit, "Good move"

——————

I jumped a little as someone took a seat next to me, sighing in relief when I realised who it was. "Rogers. Can I help you with anything?" I huffed.

He let out a small chuckle, "Not exactly. I just wanted to check in on you, you looked a little uncomfortable"

"I'm fine, I just hate flying and the prisoner is kinda creepy. Anything else?"

"N-no. I just... you don't have to be so formal all the time. Call me Steve, if you want" he muttered the last part under his breath, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.

"Sure," I murmured before getting up, "I'm gonna go see if Nat needs help"

"Is he saying anything?" Fury asked over the radio as we flew through the thick clouds.

"Not a word"

"Just get him here, we're low on time"

I listened to the sound of footsteps against the ground, "I don't like it" I heard Rogers whisper.

Stark scoffed, "What, Rock of Ages giving up so easily?"

"I don't remember it being that easy. This guy packs a wallop"

"Still, you are pretty spry for an older fellow," the man remarked, "What's your thing, Pilates?"

There was a pause and Rogers glanced at me for answers, "What?"

"It's like callisthenics. You might have missed a couple of things doing time as a Capsicle"

I smirked lightly, not bothering to add any input to the conversation. "Fury didn't tell me he was calling you in" Rogers grumbled, eyeing his associate suspiciously.

"Yeah, there's a lot of things Fury doesn't tell you" I called.

There was a bright flash of lightning, causing everyone to hold their breaths. "Where's this coming from?" Nat muttered, trying her best to keep the aircraft on course as we were hit by some turbulence.

I glanced around to check on the others, my gaze falling on Loki and his anxious expression. "What's the matter?" I sneered, "Scared of a little lightning?"

"I'm not overly fond of what follows"