Chapter Eighteen: Conversations

I coughed, desperately trying to clear the dust from my lungs. My eyes went in and out of focus, everything appearing in a dark and hazy blur. My ears rang, aching from the sheer volume of the explosion.

Someone lifted me up into their arms, carrying me out of the crater. They suddenly broke into a run, making me groan. My head began to pound and I cried out in pain. "Hey, it's okay. We're gonna get you out of here" a voice called, his voice soft despite his exhaustion.

——————

My eyes fluttered open and I tried to sit up, groaning in pain as my head began to ache. I was lying on something soft, warm sheets wrapped around me. I managed to push myself up from the bed, finding myself in an unfamiliar room.

I was still in my tattered clothes, but my hoodie had been placed on a chair next to the bed. Grabbing the gun from the bedside table, I crept towards the nearest room. I pushed the door open, revealing another bedroom. My gaze finally fell on the redhead and any trace of relief I had felt vanished.

She stared at me silently, not even daring to move as I aimed my gun at her. "Rory, listen to me," she spoke slowly, "I didn't know you then, it was just another job for me"

"Just another job? You murdered my brother!" I spat, "I waited for years to get revenge, that's why I joined SHIELD. You've had years to tell me, years to admit what you did"

The woman nodded and cautiously began to approach me, keeping both hands in view. "I offered to be your SO because I wanted to redeem myself. You know I hated being an assassin, you know I regret it" she replied calmly.

"So you just get to walk away because you feel bad? I was twelve years old, I had nobody else"

"I know, and I am so sorry. Look, if getting revenge would make you feel better, go ahead. I owe you that at least"

My finger flexed against the trigger, trembling slightly as I took aim. I had waited for this for fourteen years, I could finally do it. But I had always imagined the killer to be some evil brute with cruel eyes and an uncaring sneer. The person in front of me had kind eyes full of regret, the person in front of me was my friend.

There was a click and the gun fell to the ground with a clatter. A sob escaped my mouth and the woman rushed towards me, pulling me into a tight hug. She pressed a kiss to my forehead, gently rocking me as I shook. "I am so, so sorry" she murmured.

I sat in silence on the bed, trying to dress my wounds as best as I could after having a shower. There was a knock on the door and I stared up in confusion, seeing Rogers enter. "Hey, how are you doing?" he asked quietly.

"I'm fine" I mumbled, holding my breath as I tried to stitch up a large gash on the back of my shoulder. The man sighed and sat next to me, motioning for me to let him take over.

"I know you're not fine. You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, but I'm always here if you do need to," there was a moment's silence, "I kinda heard some of what happened with you and Nat. You sure you're okay?"

I began to fidget with my necklace, trying not to get upset. "It's fine. She didn't know. Besides, I've probably left a bunch of kids in the same situation, I can't judge her for that"

There was a pause as he finished up the stitches, "What was he like?"

"He was smart, helped develop a bunch of tech stuff for SHIELD. He was kind, too, he raised me on his own after... after our parents died. He always taught me to forgive others. And what did I do when he died? I dedicated my life to getting revenge, I disappointed him"

He reached for my hand and I let him, quietly watching as he gently squeezed it. "You didn't disappoint him. You've spent all this time protecting others, you literally jumped in front of a chitauri spear for me" he chuckled, his gaze flickering down to the pale scar on my collarbone. There was silence again. The man frowned after a moment, "I don't want to bring back bad memories, but... who's Melody?"

I looked away, contemplating whether or not to tell him. My lips seemed to dry up a little and I had to clear my throat to get rid of the lump that had seemed to form. "She was my ex" I murmured.

"She?"

"Yeah," I nodded and shrugged, "I'm bisexual. I swing a few ways"

"Okay. And, um... where is she now?"

Any trace of a smile on my face vanished, "She's gone. Everyone I've ever loved has just... gone"

He nodded quietly, "Is that why you never call people your friends? Is that why you never call me Steve? You think that, if you get close to anyone, they'll get hurt?"

"It always happens"

"What about the other day, the... thing on the escalator? And Nat's been hinting stuff for ages. Do you..." he spoke carefully, his cheeks dusted pink.

"Rogers, don't. It's not good, you'll just end up hurt... or dead" I pleaded with him, my eyes filled with desperation.

He shook his head lightly and moved a little closer, "I've been around for a while, maybe it's worth it. Please, Rory, don't shut me out"

A single tear rolled down my cheek, but it was soon wiped away by a soft, gentle hand. I stared up at him in curiosity, watching the way his sky blue eyes had filled with concern and hope and something familiar that I couldn't properly recognise. 

I gradually leaned into his touch, letting him hold my cheek, slowly tracing circles on the skin with his thumb. He began to move closer, his eyes never moving away from mine. I did the same, letting mine fall shut.

His lips pressed against mine, barely touching them as he remained cautious and caring. I deepened the kiss, placing one hand on his chest and the other on the hand that was holding my cheek. We moved slowly and softly, not wanting to take things any further. He moved closer, wrapping his other arm around my waist to pull me flush against him.

We finally pulled away, both of us breathless and blushing. He leant his forehead against mine, still gently stroking my cheek. "Look," he whispered after a moment of silence, "We don't have to be anything if you're not ready, but if you want to... I'll be there. Just... let me be there for you, we don't have to talk about it, but I'll always be there. I'm your friend"

He got up to leave the room, seeming a little hesitant in his movements. 

"Steve," he froze and turned to look at me with a small smile, "Thank you"

A/n:
Wanted to write more characters I can relate to. I'm not officially out to everyone I know but this account is pretty anonymous. If this makes you uncomfortable, just don't read it. I don't want anything unpleasant in the comments.

Just to make things clear:
- Rory is bisexual
- This means that she is attracted to more than one gender
- For some, this may mean just men and women
- For others, they are attracted to any gender
- This is 100% valid
- She's not "half gay, half straight", she's bisexual
- The fact that her love interest is a man does nothing to affect any of this
- A bisexual person is bisexual regardless of their partner
- There are some overlaps with pan, omni, poly, etc. but they are different and it depends on what the person identifies with, not you

I'm sorry if my representation isn't good enough. I only recently figured things out and I'm writing her in a way that I would probably be in a relationship (because... issues)

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to make this more accurate. Love you!