Chapter Twenty-Three: Infiltration

I adjusted my jacket, trying to ignore the slight discomfort caused from the mask on my face. It was all electronic and it fitted perfectly, I couldn't even see that it was there, but I could feel it on my skin.

I knew Agent Fray quite well, we had worked together a few times. That made it simple, as I had memorised her expressions, her mannerisms, everything. The only thing I felt bad about was the fact that she was drugged and tied up at the dam. It was going to take a lot of explaining, unless she turned out to be HYDRA as well.

My heels clacked against the polished floors, making me cringe slightly as the sound filled the empty hallway. Nat was already in place, but I had to get to the target area on my own. As I made my way through the Triskelion, I did as every agent was supposed to do, I kept my head down. That was even more important for me to do, since one wrong move could end up with a compromised mission and a bullet in my head.

The PA squeaked and I froze when I heard a familiar voice, "Attention all SHIELD agents, this is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you"

I glanced around, making eye contact with another agent who had frozen in the middle of the hallway, anxiously listening to the announcement. "They almost have what they want," Steve continued, "Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury, and it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way... unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not"

The agent and I never broke eye contact, barely blinking as we stared each other down. In a split second, I reached for the inside of my jacket and produced my gun, aiming it at his head. "Who do you work for?" I asked in a calm voice, ignoring the aching in my shoulders at the sudden movement.

"Katie, you know me. We joined at the same time, we trained together" he pleaded, trying to mask his fear.

"Who do you work for?" I yelled, my aim remaining steady as I glared at him. "Agent Cooke, who do you work for?" I repeated.

His eyes narrowed, "You're not Katie, are you? She never calls me that"

I remained silent for a moment, "Cooke, just tell me who you work for. Tell me and we can figure something out"

The man went pale and he slowly moved closer to get a better look at me. His eyes landed on my bracelet and he sighed heavily, "You're one of the fugitives, aren't you? You're Mitchells?" I nodded slowly, still refusing to lower my gun. He let out a quiet huff and stepped aside. "Good luck. I'll see what I can do to help," he murmured, "Just tell me that Katie's okay. Please?"

"She's fine," I confirmed quietly as I rushed past him, "Thank you"

As I approached Pierce's office, I heard footsteps from down the corridor. Ducking into the shadows, I watched as a young woman made her way towards the door with some files. She smiled slightly and tapped her earpiece, "Yes, sir. Getting the files to him right now"

I began to sneak behind her, freezing when my shoes too much of a noise. The woman turned to face me, barely getting a chance to attack before I punched her in the jaw. She let out a gasp, blocking my next punch and kicking my legs from under me.

As I fell, I grabbed onto her wrist, dragging her down with me. We struggled for a moment and I held a hand over her mouth and nose as she tried to call out for assistance, muffling her shouts. We stayed like that for a moment and I placed my other hand at the side of her neck, checking her pulse as she slumped against me.

I brushed myself off, picking the file up from the floor once I had stuffed the woman into a supply closet. My knuckles softly rapped against the door and it swung open, revealing a few men with their guns aimed at me.

Forcing a sweet smile onto my face, I held up the file for Pierce to see. "Sorry, just bringing the reports for the launch" I called, giving him a slow nod.

He motioned for the men to let me through and I strode forwards, placing the file on his desk. I did my best to keep smiling, despite the way my skin crawled as I walked past him, feeling him leering at me.

"I have a question for you," he resumed speaking to one of the council members as he handed him a flute of champagne, "What if Pakistan marched into Mumbai tomorrow... and you knew that they were going to drag your daughters into a soccer stadium for execution for execution? And you could just stop it with a flick of a switch. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you all?"

"Not if it was your switch" the man spat, throwing the flute aside. I watched carefully as one of the guards handed Pierce a gun.

One of the council members suddenly kicked the man aside, punching Pierce in the face. I reached forwards to pull the man to safety as she threw something at one of the guards, making him fall to the ground in shock as electricity coursed through him.

I aimed a shot at a guard, whirling around to kick another across the face. He tried to fight back, but was too dazed to stop me as I slammed his head against the desk. Everyone watched in surprise as the woman finished off the rest of the guards.

She took a gun from one of them and aimed it at Pierce, tapping the side of her face to deactivate her mask. "I'm sorry," she smirked as she removed her wig to reveal her bright red hair, "Did I step on your moment?"