Thirty Two

There were so many things going through my head as I stepped into Pete's property. Every time I had been here, I left with a scar so I was hoping this time around, things would be different.

The front door swung open as if they had been waiting for me.

Miriam stepped out from inside, gaping when she saw me, her mouth wide open. I guess she didn't know that I knew everything now, or maybe she didn't know much of anything. I never got to say goodbye to her when I left here, and seeing her standing here before me made everything that happened four months ago seemed more real than ever.

A slight breeze passed through me, kissing my skin. What I wore tonight wasn't extravagant. It was a black leather pencil skirt with zips and a blouse. Miriam inched forward, her eyes sparkling in delight and disbelief. I closed the distance between us.

"Hey, Miriam," I greeted, watching her close her palm over her mouth. "It's good to see you again."

She threw her arms around me, surprising me with a hug. I knew we had gotten closer, but I didn't believe the woman had liked me. I thought she only tried to get close to me because she wanted to keep me in check for Rogue, but this surprise hug and the look on her face made me think that she genuinely formed a friendship with me.

I still had not forgotten that she tied me up for Rogue, but I could learn to forgive that. She had only done it on his instructions. I remembered that she had not liked it. Like me, she had no choice. She was loyal to him; although, it seemed like he wasn't her employer. However, she was still loyal.

"How are you?" I asked as I pulled away. "Have you been good?"

"How are you here? What are you doing here?" she asked frantically, looking around as though she was trying to hide me or wanted to keep me from entering the house. I guess she wasn't informed that I knew what was going on.

"I'm here to have dinner with Rogue and Veronica...." With my eyes dead set on her, gauging her reaction, I ended with, "and Pete."

Her eyes widened at that and a grin spread across my face. So, she did know everything that was going on. How long had she been around for them to be comfortable with her enough to let her in on their secret?

"You're the guest," she said, but mostly to herself. I still nodded and she blinked, chasing away her shock. A smile split from her face and she grasped my arm, dropping her voice. "I'm so happy you are here. We didn't get to say goodbye the last time and I thought I would never see you again."

Same here.

"Come on in." Wrapping fingers with me, she tugged me inside. "I was just about to leave, but let me escort you inside."

"No," I protested, smiling. "Don't worry about it. I can find my way around, remember?" I didn't mean to make her feel guilty about what she did, but that was what I read on her face.

While Miriam left, I found myself inside the house. I could smell something delicious coming from the kitchen, then someone rustling around. My heels clicked against the floor as I headed into the kitchen. I found Rogue stirring the pot, his back to me. He reached and grabbed something from one of the drawers, humming to the music that was playing.

Grinning, I set the champagne bottle that I bought on the counter, although not expensive, but I was recommended it. I went to him, reaching him over in small steps before I wrapped my arms around his waist and hugged him from behind. I felt him stiffened, caught off guard.

"What are you making?" I asked with a smile in my voice, but he didn't answer. I snuggled deeper into his back, inhaling his musky scent. Was he mad at me or something? Why wasn't he talking? I shifted, turning him around to face me. My arms were still around him.