Thirty Seven

I felt a surge of adrenaline. My breaths were sharp and cold air bit into my lungs, but I tried keeping my breathing steady as I pushed harder and went faster. I darted past buildings, past people and trees, my ponytail rising behind me as I ran. The only thing I could see was what was in front of me. The only thing I could hear was the calming music in my ears.

A thin layer of sweat covered the nape of my neck and forehead as I kept pushing my legs and speeding with each push. Running wasn't something that I did. It wasn't something that I would pick to choose, but it was something that I thought I needed to clear my head. It was obvious nothing else was going to help me.

My thoughts were frantic with the need to escape, to find solace in something, and so far, running was helping. I couldn't think of anything except my lungs straining as I pounded my feet across the ground. In the corner of my eyes, everything became a blur. I felt a bead of sweat rolled down my forehead and splattered to my chin.

When I was literally gasping for air, I had to slow down until I came to a stop, collapsing on a nearby bench. My legs were killing me. I was trying to catch my breath and the sounds around me began to get louder. Chatters, car honks, bicycle bells, and dogs barking. Everything else came back to me and I had to rest my hands on my thighs. I looked up at the sky, shading the sun with my arm.

"Oh my god, that was insane!" Hanna exclaimed as she collapsed beside me. I could hear her panting, trying to add more to her words but she kept gasping with each second.

I lowered my arm in time to see Fallon collapsing at my other side, out of breath. They were both sweating, but I knew I was sweating more than they were. I could feel myself drenched in it.

"When you invited us to run, I didn't know you were going to run us to death," Hanna said as she pushed her wet strands out of her face that was glued to her forehead. "And what kind of legs do you have?" She was breathing so excessively.

I laughed at both of them, wiping the sweats from my forehead. "You guys were so slow," I said. "I'm not even a frequent runner but I managed to outrun you both."

"I could have sworn you've been doing this for a long time," Fallon managed to say, leaning her head back. "Count me out next time. You're a fucking beast."

"Oh, come on." I nudged her. "If you don't run with me, how are you going to stay fit?"

"I'm doing good as I am, thank you. There's no need to make me fit," she whispered the last part with half-closed eyes. "I think Hanna will sit it out as well." She laughed.

"Damn well I will! I'm sweaty and I ache all over. All I want right now is a warm bath and something with ice to drink." She pulled her tank that was glued to her chest from the sweat with a disgusted look. "Can we agree that sweat is the most disgusting thing on the planet? It's not a woman's best friend."

Rising to my feet, I looked toward them with arched brows. "So, does that mean you're not going to run back with me?" I darted my eyes between them.

Fallon pulled a face. "Hell no. I'm going to walk or call a cab. No way am I going to run with you again."

A car honked loudly behind me. I turned around to see a sleek black car packing beside us. Moments later, the driver's door opened and Rogue stepped out of the car in a tailored suit. He had his hands in his pockets, and he looked so attractive that anyone would pause to look at him twice.

My heart pulsated. I didn't know when I sat back down. Rogue removed one hand from his pocket, letting it rest beside him as he began to stride towards me, and when he did, my heart kept pummeling, and I couldn't take my eyes off the delicious man coming to me. I could hear both Hanna and Fallon's intakes of breath as they were attacked by everything Rogue Slade was, and something inside me wanted to jump on them and scratched their eyes out because no one was supposed to look at him like that.