One

I'm the queen. This is my castle. Give me a throne, and I'll sit on it.

Tuesday mantra was the best.

It was better than Monday's 'Do it till you make it.' It was kind of aggravating when you try to achieve a Monday goal, but end up at the receiving end of a disappointment. That was why when Monday pissed me off, Tuesday's mantra was always there to set off the fireworks. It was there to stare me in the face and tell me what I needed to hear.

I was like a god on Tuesday, and I made sure I dressed up for it. Maybe someone might look at me and thought I was extra, but I didn't care. Every day had its own mood. No one got to mess up my Tuesday. Even god's plans for me were being halted. The dog that constantly barked in my neighbors' flat gave me a break.

I wore yellow. I didn't mean a dull yellow. The kind of yellow that would get people staring and cringing. And on top of the yellow dress and heels, my hoops were huge and blue. I threw that look with a curled hair that was so big that I grimaced every time I remembered that I had to go through brushing it. It was worth it. I had learned that you couldn't live life and keep yourself captivated on who you truly are to please others. If I had learned anything about Americans, it's they felt the need to give their inputs on what didn't concern them, so I might as well give them something to talk about at the dinner table.

The roar of the honking traffic filled my ears. It never got better. It only ever got worse, and I should have been used to it. I had been here for over a year, and I still hated it. I missed the cold weather in London. I missed my friends, but I still loved New York. We were like married couples—sometimes we get along, and sometimes we didn't, like today. New York drivers were a different kind of breeds. They wouldn't mind running you over if it came to it or soak you with puddle water. They didn't even mind peeking their heads out of their windows and scream at you. Sometimes, they gave the finger, and other times, I gave them right back.

Have you ever wanted something so bad that you couldn't imagine not having it? There were two things in my life that I had felt that way about; morning coffee and a day where the CEO of our company got fired. I needed to remember that the day would come. The day would come when he would be kicked out, and I would lick the dirty floors with my tongue. I just had to ignore the fact that the owner of the company was the manager's brother. That wasn't a tiny hiccup, is it?

It was all I could think about when I watched his bloated face as he fired nonsense after nonsense, which everyone called Robert free time because what he talked about had nothing to do with the company. I kid you not. We had to patiently wait until he had finished ranting about useless things before the official meeting started, which he barely paid attention to. Seriously, who gave this man a job?

Robert Sinclair stood at the head of the boardroom table and droned on and on about how his friend bought a yacht for the third time because Robert had bought his third one last week. He continued to gloat and brag about how he had competitive friends, and how we were all so lucky to be poor enough not to care about what our poor friends were doing.

I turned down the urge to slam my head against the table because this was not the priority. The priority was the sales that had been going down for weeks, and we needed to find a solution to that. Preferably a brand that could help our company boost our sales and increase our profits. Without money flowing in, I could not get my monthly Fenty shopping that had turned into an addiction.

Sometimes, I wondered about my old job and the what if's. I think this was my punishment, having to listen to Robert's brags. Sliding a glance at Ken, the man sitting next to me, I noticed a magazine sitting in front of him. Without asking, I slid it toward me. At least, this would entertain me for a few minutes.