Five

Was it evening? Was it a night? I couldn't be sure. The windows were sealed. There was no clock. Was this designed to make me go mad? Not knowing what time it was and if I was still in New York. Isolate me from everyone and everything? I assumed he would keep me close, and close was where he could access his company. I had to believe we were still in New York.

I had been pacing back and forth in the room I was kept in. With every minute that passed, I was starting to get more and more anxious. There was nothing to do. I was left to my thoughts, which were close to driving me mad. Walking in circles didn't help either. It irritated me.

I was dressed in the clothes Miriam brought me. It was too expensive. Actually, the closet was full of clothes that were all my sizes and were past my price range. That got me feeling suspicious and made me sick. Either he had people into my flat and got my size, or the man had some serious questions to answer. The asshole even brought me underwear. Although, the bra was a little too small. Hah. He got that wrong. Maybe he bought smaller sizes because my boobs looked bigger and fuller in there. Beth, what the hell are you saying?

Nothing was left out for a woman's necessities. The bathroom was big. It had a tub and a shower stall. There were soaps, shampoos, conditioners—all nice, expensive brands. There was also a toothbrush and toothpaste and skincare products. Clearly, he had thought about it well.

I tried to think about what was to come. If I had no answers for him, was he going to keep me here? Locked up until Hanna was found? Oh, Hanna. I hoped she was fine. I didn't want to think about the worst, but I had to. Her phone had been found on the ground along with her bag. It meant she was taken. Hanna would never willingly ran away. She loved her family. She loved the company. She would never abandon them.

So, where was she? Who took her? I tried to remember anything we had talked about, any clue to go on with, but her life had been great. She had never fought with anyone. All her exes were parted in good terms. If she didn't have enemies, who would take her? A rival company? No, a ransom would have been issued. This couldn't be about business. Then, what?

Miriam brought me food. Since I hadn't eaten anything earlier, I devoured the food right now. The grilled fish and sauce were so good that I wanted more, but I couldn't demand more. I didn't want them to think I was comfortable with my situation.

While Miriam was looking away, I stole a fork from the plate and hid it under the pillow. Call me crazy, but I wanted something to protect myself with. I didn't want it to come to that, but if it ever did, I had something to defend myself with.

After I finished eating, she gathered everything and headed for the door. I breathed a sigh of relief. But then, she didn't go out. She paused by the door, and I thought about sneaking behind her, using the fork to threaten her to show me the way out. I didn't do that.

"Beth," she dragged my name out in frustration, turning around to face me. Her eyes narrowed. "Hand over the fork."

I tried to play dumb. "What fork?"

Her eyes cast down briefly to the tray that was missing the utensil. "The fork you used to eat. Where is it? I need you to give it to me," she ordered with a resigned sigh.

I found myself in a staring contest with her, but I was not about to give up the one thing that would help me against these people. She glowered at me, and I glowered right back. Miriam ended up winning, and I slid the fork from underneath the pillow and hurled it at her. That earned me a fine glare.

"So much for women protecting each other, huh," I shot out, pissed. How could she stand there and not do anything to help me? "Do you know what you are, Miriam? His accomplice and I hope the money he's paying you will be useful in prison because that's where you will be going."