Lantern!Mari (SortaKinda Fic)

A/N: Just wait till the end of the video.

~

Marinette was done. She defeated Hawkmoth, became Lila's doormat, and just barely graduated school.   

That's all her life was worth, wasn't it? 

Well, that's all Tikki made it to be. 

'Oh Marinette, finding Hawkmoth is more important than your school work.'

'Your friends can wait Marinette, you have to decipher the Grimoire.'

'You just have to ignore what Lila said, Marinette. It's not her fault, she's being manipulated by Hawkmoth!'

The kwamis have a romanticized view on humans and they could care less about what happens to them. They think that all humans are innocent and they're wrong

Lila wasn't being manipulated by Hawkmoth, she was working for him! 

She had to decode the grimoire off of her very limited knowledge of Mandarin. She ditched her friends so many times to do Guardian work, they had all the reason to believe what Lila told them.

She just barely passed her classes. Her college application would be pathetic.

Which is why she saved herself the embarrassment. The money she had saved up over the years was nothing to scoff at. Between her rich great uncle, commissions from Jagged and Clara, and the fact that she was too distracted to buy leisure items, she was set. 

So she bought a tea farm in Smallville, Kansas. It's ironic, isn't it? Master Fu ruined her life and yet she's going to spend the rest of her life doing something that reminds her of him. 

No, she won't let him ruin this. She'll forget him. Just like how she was going to forget everything about the miraculous when she gives up being the Guardian. 

~

"I, Marinette Dupain-Cheng, relinquish the Guardian title! Why isn't it working?!" She's said it dozens of times, why does she still remember everything?!  She was sitting outside on her farm, desperately trying to get ride off the last thing chaining her to her past. 

The kwami's were in the box, celebrating the return and rescue of Duusu and Nooroo. They didn't plan to come out of the box for a couple of centuries and Marinette was perfectly content with that.

After an hour of vain attempts of disconnecting herself from the Miracle Box, she found an alternative. 

She would bury the box and used a spell from the grimoire to grow a tree from the wood of the box. That way she didn't have to deal with the kwami and they were safely hidden. She may not like them but she won't let them be abused again. 

~

Didn't she just get put away her magic jewelry? Is she a power bound jewelry magnet now?  

Some blue ring just comes flying at her, at race car speed, mind you, and she's supposed to what? Put it on? No sir, she learned from last time that putting on mysterious jewelry will only give you trouble. 

And she told the ring just that and, holy shit, it talked back. And somehow, it convinced her to just try it on.

She did, and it felt different. It wasn't overpowering like the miraculous, it didn't take over her instincts, it felt like it intertwined with her soul, it felt like...

"This is what freedom feels like, isn't it?" she smiles down at the ring.

'There is hope for you yet, Marinette Dupain-Cheng.'