Chapter Twenty-Nine.

John is exhausted. He has been walking, with me over his shoulder, for hours. And now, I believe we are lost. He's been glancing around, trying to find a way out, or maybe just a way. I'm afraid we will remain here until someone comes to our rescue.

"You are obviously tired," I say. "Please, put me down"

"You trust me yet?" He asks, panting.

"John-"

"Then no"

I sigh. He can be so stubborn. I thought I liked that, coming from him, but right now I hate it. I hate everything coming from the Shelby family and I cannot believe, for one second, that they ever were honest with me. No matter what John claims, he was lying too.

"I never wanted to lie," whispers John.

I lift my head, still on his back, to have a look at the back of his head.

"I told Tommy this was a bad idea. We all did. We never hide who we are. But something about you, your- your purity made him lie all the way"

My purity?

"Thomas wanted to keep you to himself, to have you away from all the madness of Birmingham. But somehow, your driver got information on us. On what we do. And then, the fucking Father Hughes told you everything. We knew he did. But you lied! You said you didn't know anything. And the way you looked at us; at me, you were fucking disgusted"

I never thought of that night again. I can barely remember their faces, let alone mine. Did I really look at John with repulsion?

"I thought you hated me," says John with a little voice. "I thought you were gonna leave. That's why when I came and when I saw how nice you were to me, I knew I couldn't break it all. I couldn't do it to Thomas; to me"

I remember that day. We had such a pleasant afternoon, we laughed and laughed. We were like two friends; like siblings, who were reminiscing old memories. And it felt so good to just be a lady for a little while, and not a Langdon.

"I didn't wanna lie Emma. I swear"

My heart believes him, but my reason urges me to stop listening to his words. Could it be crazy of me to believe him? Not all of them, but just John.

"John Shelby does not seem to joke around with the corpses of his numerous victims"

The words of Father Hughes echoes in my head, and I have to keep my mouth shut to repress any horrible comments. I have the sentiment that John needs to say everything he has to in order for me to reply.

"I am sorry," whispers John.

This time, even my head tells me that he is sincere. For the first time since I've discovered the truth, I truly believe a Shelby. He isn't lying. John never apologized, and if he is doing it now, it cannot be a lie. He knows better than telling another lie, especially one as important as this one. He wouldn't risk it; he wouldn't risk lying anymore.

"John. I believe you"

And just like that, he finally puts me down. At first, I really thought it was because I gave him back my trust, but when he falls to his knees, I understand it isn't the reason. I quickly get down on mine and put my hands on his shoulders to hold him.

"John, are you alright?"

Before he can answer, his eyes closed and he fell on my laps before rolling on the mud. "John! Can you hear me?!" I turn him around to have him laying on his back, and try to shake him awake.

But nothing works. He either fell of fatigue, or of distress. Either case, I cannot leave him like that.

"Everything is going to be alright John," I whisper to his ear. "I promise I will never let you go"

I try with all the strength in my body to get him on his feet, but oh God, he is heavier than I thought. Somehow, I succeed to put his arm on my shoulders and drag him alongside my body as I walk forward.

John lied; well, he didn't say the truth. But I believe him when he says he didn't want to. I will believe him with anything he says from now on, and I know that somehow he will be worth that second chance I grant him with. Which is also why I could never leave him here to die, the rain hasn't stopped since we left my house and I don't think it will stop anytime soon. Although, the thunder did stop, so there might still be hope.

But after what feels like an eternity, although it could just have been an hour, I fall to my knees. I cannot keep on going like that, it can't be any good to me nor John. Especially if I keep on dragging him in the mud, he'll get sick. And so, I decide to lay him under a tree, hoping it'll be enough to protect him from the rain. Which, of course, isn't. The only thing I can do right now is keeping him as wet, or warm, as possible.

And so, I take off my long sleeve blouse, leaving just a small camisole on, and try, somehow, to cover the top of chest and neck with it. I use his jacket to bring it up to the back of his neck and sincerely hope it'll be good enough. I know it won't, but it can't harm a soul to hope.

***

Hours go by and the rain is heavier than ever. The moon, high in the sky and full, is the only light shining on us. John hasn't woken up yet, and I have no idea when he will. To keep him warm, I've been hugging him for the past hour and have checked his pulse constantly to make sure he is still very much alive. If someone were to happen to him, I don't think Thomas would ever forgive me.

I wouldn't forgive myself.

But right now, I just need someone to show up. I just need someone to come and help us.

"Ms Langdon!!"

I look up from John's face, a light of hope on my face. Ackley.

"Ackley!" I yell, out of breath. "Ackley, we're here!!" I keep on shouting so that he can find my position and when I hear a horse whinnying, I know he is close.

I hold onto John tighter and whisper him words of hope. "I told you we'd be alright"

Ackley finally arrives and jump off his horse to run to my help. But I stop him. "Take John," I say. I try to get Thomas' younger brother on his feet but fail.

"Ma'am, I do-"

"For God sake, help me!" I shout. Ackley obeys and holds John in his arm. "Get him to the hospital in town. And urge someone to inform the Pea- The Shelbys," I say.

"Yes. After you'll be home and safe," retorts Ackley.

"Take John. I'll be waiting here"

"No! I am not leaving you here. Take the horse, go to town and I'll find my way home"

I sigh. This could be an easier thing to do. But what if John falls on the way? I won't have the strength to get him back on the horse.

"Ackley, do as I say"

"Ma'am, I cannot obey"

I frown an eyebrow, shocked at his refusal of obeying to me. "Ackley, this isn't your Ma'am talking. This is your boss, and I am ordering you to bring John Shelby to a hospital, to inform his family, and only then come back for me"

"I can't"

"This is an order!" I shout.

Somehow, Ackley finally gets on the back on his horse, John laying on it in front of him. With one last look, I urge Ackley to go. And when he does so, I sigh in relief.

John is safe. I only have to wait now.

I sit on the ground, my back against a tree, and bring my knees up to my chest to hug them. A smile on lips, I am not fearing anything anymore. I just have to be patient. Ackley will come back after John is safe and sound with his family by his side. It may have taken hours for Ackley to find me, but now that he knows my location, it's just a matter of time. He'll be quick.

He will. Won't he?