Chapter Ten.

As I am about to leave to join my guest in the dining room, Alice enters my bedroom with a smile on her lips.

"What can I do for you, Alice?"

"First of all, you are very beautiful Madam"

I turn around to look at my reflection in the mirror. My long gold dress with a long fringe cape that goes to the floor is a very unique dress. Although, the neckline is quite revealing is it not indecent. And the gold heels that I have on my feet are surprisingly comfortable.

"Thank you, Alice"

"Also, Mr Shelby arrived"

I leave the room and once I arrive on top of the stairs, I can see Thomas, at the bottom of it, looking at his pocket watch.

"Very elegant Thomas"

He lifts his head to look at me and, for the first time, I can see an emotion in his eyes that is close to wonder. A small smile appears on my lips as I walk toward him.

"You're beautiful"

"Thank you. The dining room is this way," I say.

Thomas follows me to the big dining room, even though it is not the biggest. I thought that the biggest might be a little impersonal for a dinner of only four people.

"Amsia, Ahmad, let me introduce you to Mr Thomas Shelby"

They both get up and Thomas quickly shakes the hand of Ahmad with a thin smile on his face. And when he turns to salute Amsia, I am about to explain to him that she will not shake his hand. But, he surprises me by not trying to do that. Instead, he puts his hands in his pocket and nod to Amsia with a, surprisingly, respectful glance.

"Pleasure to meet you both"

"The pleasure is ours, Mr Shelby," Replies Ahmad, very happy of Thomas' behaviour toward his wife.

I sit across Amsia and Mr Shelby comes to sit to my right.

"So, Mr Shelby-"

"Thomas," Interompts my guest.

"Sorry," says Ahmad. "Thomas, what do you do?"

"I own some factories. I build cars," Answers Mr Shelby. "And you? I understand that you came from Africa"

"We did. I have some businesses in mines and trains in South Africa"

"Really? What kind of mines?" Asks Thomas, interested.

***

My guests leave us alone, Thomas and I, in one of the living rooms, to go to sleep. When the door is closed, I lay my eyes on my guest with a huge smile on my lips. I just love how he behaved tonight. I do not know why exactly, but I felt that he was very respectful and actually trying to be nice.

"What are you smiling about?" He asks, looking at me.

"You"

"Me? What have I done?"

"You were very respectful tonight Thomas. Thank you"

He clears his throat and sits back against the couch.

"Well, John told me that your friend does not shake hands. It would've been stupid to act as if I didn't know"

"I appreciate it. Really"

He coughs intentionally and grabs his glass on the table. He takes a sip of his drink and looks back at me.

"I have a question", I say.