Chapter Nine.

I look up at one of the clocks of the room and I am shocked. It is past midnight and we are still sitting on the floor. I know that Thomas is not asleep and I also know that he will not stand up unless I ask him to.

"Maybe you should rest in your bedroom," I suggest.

Surprisingly, he listens to me and stand up. He also helps me to stand up and, for once, I accept the hand he offers. Once I am on my feet, however, I let go of his grip.

"Let's get you to your room," I say softly.

I accompany him to the hall, we climb multiple stairs together and when we are finally in his bedroom, Thomas takes off his pocket watch to put it on a piece of furniture. Then, he leaves his shoes at the feet of the bed, undo the straps of his trouser and sit on the bed, tired.

"I will ask one of the maids to-"

"Stay here," He says, looking up at me.

"Thomas, I can't"

"It's not the bedroom I shared with my wife. So," He says to, I think, encourages me to stay. "Stay"

I sigh in defeat. He knows I will not leave him alone and the only thing that could have stopped me from staying is being in a bedroom he had shared with his wife.

"I will stay"

Thomas stands up again and walks toward me. He grabs my hand and leads me to the other side of the bed. Once I am seated, he goes on the other side and sits too.

I am the first one to lay on the bed. However, I do not feel uncomfortable. Surprisingly, this does not feel wrong. And once Thomas is laying next to me, his gaze fixing me, it still does not feel wrong.

"Are you just going to watch me until I fall asleep?" I ask, turning my head to look at him, with a smile on my lips.

"Yes"

***

When I open my eyes, I notice that I am alone in bed. Thomas must've left early. Then, I quickly sit up and get my hair together. As I am about to stand up, I hear the bedroom's door open.

"Good morning"

I turn around and smile when I see Mr Shelby entering the room. He looks fine, I imagine that the night helped him to relax.

"How are you feeling this morning?" He asks.

"Very well, thank you. What about you?"

"I'm good. Breakfast is ready"

And here comes the moment which will destroy everything.

"I am sorry Thomas but, I cannot stay"

"Why?" He asks, frowning.

He does not look happy nor ok with that.

"I have some guests who arrives today, from London, and I need to make sure that everything is ready," I explain, softly.

"From London?"

"Actually, they came from South Africa. But, they caught the train to Birmingham from London"

"They?" Asks my host, while walking toward me slowly.

"A couple. Friends that I have known for years"

Thomas stops right in front of me, and I keep smiling, trying to make the situation a little bit more pleasant.

"They're staying at the Midlands Hotel?"

"Of course they are not. I have enough rooms for them to stay at my house"

Thomas sighs and I can see his shoulders straightening, a sign of him being very tensed.