Chapter Seven.

"Are you ok Madam?"

I do not make the effort to look at who entered my room. I already know it is Ackley who asks if I am okay since what happened, almost two weeks ago, at the gala. Of course, I do not answer and he eventually walks away.

I am still trying to understand what happened and, more importantly, I am still trying to accept it. I am still trying to comprehend and to accept that my life was threatened. And maybe still threatened by people that I do not even know!

And while I am lost into my reflexion, I hear someone knocking on my door.

"Yes," I say almost mechanically.

I hear the door opens.

"Madam" Starts Ann. "Someone is asking to see you"

"Who?" I ask without really caring.

"Mr Shelby, Madam"

I sigh, not knowing why.

"Tell him to go," I say.

I hear her agreeing and leave the room. Then, I turn around and go to my bed to lay under the covers, staring at the ceiling. I hope Mr Shelby will not try to force my maid to let him come in here.

***

"How is she, doctor?" Asks Ackley in the living room.

I am not sick. I know it has been over a month that I have not left my room, nor my bed, but I am not sick.

"She does not show any pain"

I know.

"Except mental pain"

Mental pain? I am not ill. I am perfectly healthy.

"What do you mean?" Demands Ackley in a worried tone.

"Has Ms Langdon experienced any kind of traumas recently?"

I almost died.

"Yes, she has. But, it happened last month"

"It does not matter" Explains the doctor. "There is no time limits for trauma to affect"

"Is there anything we can do?" Asks Ackley.

"I am afraid not"

***

When I hear someone knocking on my door, I decide to put the book back on my nightstand.

"Yes," I say.

Alice's face appears once she opens the door.

"How are you today Madam?" She asks with a little smile.

"I am ok. How about you?"

"I am very well, thank you Madam"

"Is there something you wanted to talk to me about?" I demand.

"Actually, no. But a letter came today. From South Africa, Madam"

I frown, wondering who could have sent me a letter. I do not have any relatives nor entourage there.

"Who is it from?" I ask.

"Mrs Amsia Alatas, Madam"

Almost immediately, a smile appears on my face, for the first time in approximately three months, and I jump out of bed to rush toward Alice. Seeing my sudden joy makes her smile and almost laugh when I grab the letter from her. I tear it open quickly and start to read it.

"Oh dear Lord," I say when I am almost at the end. "Amsia is coming to see us with her husband!"

"That is wonderful Madam"