Chapter Twenty-Five.

The kids knock on the door of a very small building and a woman opens it. She is small, smaller than me, and wears an apron on top of a dark brown dress which falls under her knees.

"Here you are, Jack! Get inside!" She says to the boy with the beret. His friend follows him inside and the woman turns around to face me. "Thank you for getting them home"

"My pleasure Madam"

"I have to say, I am relieved to know that a lady brought them home"

"Really?" I say, a bit surprised.

"Of course! I don't want my son to stay outside when those Peaky Blinders are out there"

"Oh, you know the Peaky Blinders?" I ask.

"Well of course! Everybody knows them. They own the building"

I take a look around the building. It isn't that good, but it's not falling into pieces.

"And, where are the Peaky Blinders now?"

"I don't know. They must be out there killing people or stealing. You never know with those criminals"

I nod. "Of course. You never know"

"Well, actually I heard that they were out shooting today. But anyway, thank you for my son and his friend"

"No problem. It was my pleasure"

***

"You told the man to tell the Peaky Blinders to come?"

I nod, still trying to figure out what to wear to welcome the Peaky Blinders tonight.

"Ma'am, do you realize what you have done?"

"I do, Ackley. I showed my dominance. And when the Peaky Blinders will come, I will prove my superiority"

I try on a pearl necklace that falls right above my breast. It is very bright and a bit too innocent for the occasion. I have to show those men who they are up against. I have to demonstrate that I may not be in charge of Birmingham, but I am in charge of the world.

"What would you like me to do Ma'am?" Asks Ackley.

"Put on a tuxedo. And make sure that we are prepared for any..." I stop myself and ponder on what word to use. What could describe the evening that we are awaiting? "Any inconvenience"

Ackley nods and walks out of the room while Alice comes into the room with two dresses in her arms. She lays them both on the sofa of the changing room and I stand up from my chair to go see them. The one on the left reminds me of an evening I spent in New York last year. Champagne was pouring, the music was loud and drugs were flying in the room. Everybody was enjoying life as if a future depression was not on the way. The fine gold on the dress warms my gaze, however, the red of the other dress gives me a sentiment of strength.

The sleeves are long and move the cape with them. I can easily picture myself wearing this with a diamond necklace and some earrings.

"I'll have the red one"

Alice nods and starts helping me get ready.

"Nothing too fancy with the hair Alice," I say. "I want my power to be the only mesmerizing thing in the house"

***

Once I put on my shoes, I walk out of the changing room. Ackley is waiting for me at the end of the corridor.

"You look good in a tuxedo Ackley," I say, a smile on my lips.

"Thank you, Ma'am. I must say, those diamonds are beautiful"